New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I saw the exhibit of the 2003 Subaru Forester kanina sa Shangrila mall. And I was made curious by on of its features:

HORIZONTALLY OPPOSED ENGINE

Sabi nung taga GM, mas fuel efficient daw ito and mas malakas ang makina since it defies the laws of gravity daw dahil patagilid na ang takbo ng mga pistons imbis na diagonal ang set-up nito. Is this true? Galing!!! :shock: Bakit ngayon lang naisipan to???

Anyways...curious lang po... :roll: :roll:

Here's the price nga pala: P1,310,000 for Manual
    P1,360,000 for Automatic

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    djerms::: pare boxers have been around for quite a while. Posrsches and subaru are the main proponents of these types of engines. "Defy gravity?" i dont think so. :D

Boxers, being shorter in height compared to inline or V engines, give the car a lower center of gravity, improving handling characteristics (well, in general at least). I think this was what the salesman wanted to say. If a boxer engine defied gravity then, well heheh, we'd have flying subarus :D

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    the boxer configuration by itself won't give any appreciable fuel efficiency and power benefits... what it does affect is center of gravity, and noise, vibration, and idle quality probably

basically, the salesman is BSing you, imo

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Djerms,

Yung diagonal set-up, Vee configuration iyon. V8, V6, B12, etc. Iba-iba din ang angles niyan. May 90 degrees, 60 degrees at kung ano-ano pa. Yung makina natin sa Trooper at Pajero ay in-line configuration meaning patayo ang mga piston as in up and down ang movement (wow, kinky! hehehe).

Yung boxer engine nakahiga ang pistons. Kung makikita mo in action parang side to side na ang movement niya. Ginagamit din ng ibang manufacturers iyan like Porsche.

Yep, it will lower your center of gravity. NOT defy gravity. hehehe.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Yup. Exactly why it's called a boxer engine because of its horizontal "boxing" motion.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    checkout howstuffworks and you'll see there different types of engines. the horizontal thing isn't new at all.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    while youre at it, check out Volkswagen's W-engines (double V). More cylinders, less engine mass.

Does this make sense???