New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

View Poll Results: Love em or hate em?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Musclecars are the greatest!

25 80.65%
  • No way. they are useless pieces of junk that should be put out of their misery.

6 19.35%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by oldblue View Post
    no sir, i'm not really a techie person. but I like newer things all of the time. it inspires me.

sometime nga when I enter a house full of wood and antiques, nakikipag-plastikan na lang ako so as not to offend the host. pero ayaw ko talaga.
    sir oldblue,
    di na kita iimbitahin sa bahay namin sa probinsya hehehe

I also like concepts mind you, but sometimes its very disapppointing because you never get too see them leave the prototype stage.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    It's the new generation of kids who loathes/hate classic/muscle cars.

For them, upgrades means "bolt-on" kits. Not fabrication like our very own Turbo.

If a car dies on the road. Use a celphone, dial a tow service. Done. Battery dies, buy a new one. Something goes wrong, the computer analyzes it for you.

I bet most of them don't know how to hot start a car without the ignition key.

For them it's more of a convenience. Parts are ready and available. You just need money and off you go. Plain and simple.

And Civics aren't the new Mustangs. That's another topic to discuss.

Anyone who has a '57 Bel-Air? Running or not, PM me ASAP.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    love the looks, hate the mileage

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 66bunny View Post
    It's the new generation of kids who loathes/hate classic/muscle cars.

For them, upgrades means "bolt-on" kits. Not fabrication like our very own Turbo.

If a car dies on the road. Use a celphone, dial a tow service. Done. Battery dies, buy a new one. Something goes wrong, the computer analyzes it for you.

I bet most of them don't know how to hot start a car without the ignition key.

For them it's more of a convenience. Parts are ready and available. You just need money and off you go. Plain and simple.

I'm sure decades from now, these kids will look back and regard their hi-tech, turbo 4-bangers as classics. I myself have a 1991 turbo Plymouth Laser that's on its 16th year and 2nd engine. I give it the same love and care as many classic V8 owners give their cars....... I can't see why it's a love or hate thing. I think it's all a matter of which generation we're talking about. The classic V8 owners just happens to be of an earlier generation. But no matter which generation, we all share a love for cars.......

5. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    I'm sure decades from now, these kids will look back and regard their hi-tech, turbo 4-bangers as classics. I myself have a 1991 turbo Plymouth Laser that's on its 16th year and 2nd engine. I give it the same love and care as many classic V8 owners give their cars....... I can't see why it's a love or hate thing. I think it's all a matter of which generation we're talking about. The classic V8 owners just happens to be of an earlier generation. But no matter which generation, we all share a love for cars.......
    what i find amazing here is there are some who have cars like stangs but were never even born in the 60s. technically, they didnt grow up around em but just love em. galing nga. could that be hollywood at work din? o is a car like the stang just such an icon? who has surpassed what it had done in sales?

6. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 66bunny View Post

OMG...civics the new mustang? what have they done in terms of car history to be seen as the future classic? lets start another thread....

do you want a 2 door hardtop/sedan or 4 door hardtop/sedan

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by midinite View Post
    what i find amazing here is there are some who have cars like stangs but were never even born in the 60s. technically, they didnt grow up around em but just love em. galing nga. could that be hollywood at work din? o is a car like the stang just such an icon? who has surpassed what it had done in sales?
    It's just like people's tastes in music. I know in the Philippines, the type of music is like a passing fad or whatever the "in" thing is at the time. But here, we have many from the current young generation who listens to classic rock of the 70's. You know, music my dad listened to. And yet, there are those who listens to these modern crap I cant stand. (sorry guys)

Same thing with cars. There are youths who absolutely adore classic V8's while at the same time there are those of the current generation who wants hi-tech Japanese or European makes. The one thing in common is the quest for speed. That's what makes fast cars interesting. There's more than one solution to a problem. It would be boring if all fast cars were either v8's or hi-tech turbos only.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; January 9th, 2007 at 10:20 PM.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    It's just like people's tastes in music. I know in the Philippines, the type of music is like a passing fad or whatever the "in" thing is at the time. But here, we have many from the current young generation who listens to classic rock of the 70's. You know, music my dad listened to. And yet, there are those who listens to these modern crap I cant stand. (sorry guys)

Same thing with cars. There are youths who absolutely adore classic V8's while at the same time there are those of the current generation who wants hi-tech Japanese or European makes. The one thing in common is the quest for speed. That's what makes fast cars interesting. There's more than one solution to a problem. It would be boring if all fast cars were either v8's or hi-tech turbos only.
    Add:

During my heydays (early 90's) I was with the hi-tech crowd (Diamond Star with the turbo Plymouth Laser) and had my share of taking on V8's. Won some, lost some. But there's always the respect for the other car and the driver in it because I could've easily been a V8 driver myself.

To give an idea of what the new hi-tech cars were from a V8 driver's perspective, here's one from I think, 1989:
    http://www.allpar.com/model/laser.html
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; January 9th, 2007 at 10:39 PM.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    if i had to cast my vote, i'd say it would be: "i love it". i'm not so old but i grew up admiring these cars. mind you, such cars were already classics even before i'm born.

what drew my interest to them (muscle cars), is that the nostalgia and the history behind it. it's like owning a piece of history. imagine, every time you rev it up, you blew away a pieze of ozone layer!

seriously, mas pinagtitinginan ka nang tao kapag naka muscle car ka. besides, it is much way simpler to tinker with. all mechanicals. if i may, i would like to compare it with human muscles:

Modern Cars (Rice, et al) = Steroid induced power. More focused on having the most horses underneath the hood.

Muscle Car = All Muscles or in other words, all natural. More focused on having the most muscles underneath the hood.

as far as i'm concerned, i'm hell bent on torquey motor. sure i'd appreciate the horses, but the torque really got me.

while it is true that muscle cars are heavy bunch, it is always amaze me of the power (actually, torque it generates).

one of these days, dadaan talaga ako kila sir turbo. lapit lang sa amin yung talyer nya e.

OT: speaking of music, wouldn't it be nice to hear old school classics inside a muscle car like pink floyds or sting and the police, etc.

lately ito ang mga inclinations ko. mga classic rocks at musics- to say the least, era. ganun ba talaga ang tumatanda or simply because i wanted to deviate from the norm of pop culture?
    Last edited by ian_rex; January 9th, 2007 at 11:20 PM.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2004

You're right about cars being like music. It's all completely subjective, for example I know there's a huge AE86 cult but I find the AE86 to be an overrated car especially because it was popularized (mainly) by a stupid anime program. *runs like hell*

P.S. No offense to the AE86 guys, I know it's a classic but I still don't like it, I just said that to illustrate how subjective cars can be. Anyway you're completely free to hate Minis and 4-door Chevelles to get back at me.

OT: You're also right about pop music in the Philippines mainly being driven by fads. I'm not a fan of fads and I was never the one who followed them, I just play what I like. What makes me sick about the current "in" thing is that everybody and his dog does it. The "out" bands either change their style to do the "in" thing or just disappear. At least the whole hiphop rubbish followed by the novelty song nonsense was taken over by the much more tolerable pop-rock bandwagon, though it's being threatned by the (evil) bossanova invasion (*runs away even faster*). God, I wonder when they'd stop playing the Kami nAPO Muna songs. I'm a big fan of the Apo, though the tribute album is fairly catchy it lacks variety and gets old very easily - I'm already fed up listening to the whole thing just once. (18 tracks of formulaic pop rock! I've never heard of a 70-minute, "Various Artists" album that sounded much the same throughout! God knows why I even bought it, damn marketing/branding. Somehow it also makes me want to just kill Kitchie and Barbie (Apo classic ballads turned commerical jingles, aaargh). ).

Slightly back to topic, before I go insane: Even back then I had started developing a taste for old music mainly my mom and dad's (The Beatles, Steely Dan, Pink Floyd, The Police, et al). I was just reluctant to play them because I didn't want to be "weird". But then I realized why I shouldn't be trying to be "in", after all it's subjective! Like people's taste in cars.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Do you love or hate musclecars?