New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

View Poll Results: Love em or hate em?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Musclecars are the greatest!

25 80.65%
  • No way. they are useless pieces of junk that should be put out of their misery.

6 19.35%
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    It seems that musclecars are a polarizing subject. some will openly rave about them while others will just loathe them. some will remain neutral. some will praise them. others may ridicule them.

individuals will say that they are gas guzzlers. others may claim that they are icons.

some say they merit a section in tsikot. others say they dont.

where do you stand on this? (this time there will be no middle ground)
    Last edited by midinite; January 8th, 2007 at 01:54 PM.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I love them!

How can you not love the throaty rumble of a v8?
    I remember during the egroup's biggest ever EB, I was pestering the owner of the gt350 to rev her up And he jokingly quipped "thats 40 pesos right there bawat rev" hehehe still, the sound is something you have to hear. VROOM VROOM!

And the curves! On some cars, the lines are dull and boring. But old school cars(not all of course), the lines are very sensual, reminding me of the curve of a woman's hip sometimes

Like a tsikoteer once said, having one is like having a mistress. Shes got the right curves and screams like a banshee in bed. Sure, she's high maintenance and sometimes temperamental, but she will make you grin with joy every time

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I didn't vote because it's not a love or hate kind of thing...... My first car was a white 1976 TransAm "GhostRider". I had to give it up because parts such as tires were expensive and I didn't have a good-paying job at the time.

For a while, I didn't have much money. So my next car was a 1986 Nissan Pulsar.

In late 1990, I decided to buy another sports coupe, a 1991 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo (which I still have). It can run with most V8's of the time. But, I do hate that turbo lag which makes it a poor stoplight racer. If you look at Car and Driver's reviews, check out the street-start (5-60 mph) times. You'll see that most turbo cars lag V8's and even some V6's.

The reason I care about street starts is that a cop will pay closer attention to a revving turbo motor (driver keeping it within boost range) than a V8/V6 which have power on tap from the get go. So yep. V8's have their appeal. Everyone knows they're gas guzzlers. The driver's not going to care.

I haven't had a chance to buy another V8 because of family life (hence the 1995 Ford Contour SE and 2006 Hyundai Sonata V6). But, once our daughter moves out and we decide not to retire to the Philippines, I'm buying a new/used Mustang GT.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; January 8th, 2007 at 02:17 PM.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    I dont like em bec they dont look modern.
    It's like flaunting your old black & white nokia communicator.

besides what's so special about old gas-guzzling V8 engines and almost 90 percent purely mechanical parts. it a waste of time for the younger generation to even tinker with it. to some oldies, it can be a way to relive their past, to regain long-lost confidence and pride. It can be therapeutic for them. i respect that

A

5. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    67 Impala
    69 Camaro Z28
    69 Boss 302

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by oldblue View Post

besides what's so special about old gas-guzzling V8 engines and almost 90 percent purely mechanical parts. it a waste of time for the younger generation to even tinker with it. to some oldies, it can be a way to relive their past, to regain long-lost confidence and pride. It can be therapeutic for them. i respect that

A
    I don't know. Even the Mitsu 2L turbo of my Laser looked way too complicated the first time I saw it. But muscle cars refer to most V8 cars, both classic and modern.

As for gas guzzlers, check out the latest Car and Driver comparo. The latest:

Mustang GT 17/25 mpg
    Evo RS 19/25 mpg
    Grand Prix GXP 18/27 mpg
    Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT 20/27 mpg
    MazdaSpeed 6 19/25 mpg
    Dodge Charger R/T 17/25 mpg
    2005 WRX STi 18/24 mpg
    350z 19/25 mpg

Seems pretty close to me......
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; January 8th, 2007 at 03:03 PM.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Hindi ko sila hate kinakatakutan ko lang. Ang lakas kase ng muscle cars eh.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    i love 'em...pero pag natutulog ako't dumaan sila, i hate 'em.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by oldblue View Post

A
    Good to see your opinion. maybe that is why it is why they are fun to tinker with. personally am not much of a computer/electronic person and have a hard time with the new cars that have all these gadgets. it is nice sometimes to change your own intakes, balance carbs and play gearing ratios.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by FXT View Post
    i love 'em...pero pag natutulog ako't dumaan sila, i hate 'em.
    They probably saw your turbo Forester. Many V8 drivers know which cars are fast.....

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Do you love or hate musclecars?