New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Good morning. It was said that you avoid braking while cornering. Why? Recently, I found an advice which says that it is better to brake while cornering. Which is the better advice?
    Thanks.
    :tumbleweed:

2. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    What kind of car? A FWD car can brake while cornering and have no problems, while a RWD car might spin out if it brakes while cornering. Some RWD cars even have lift off oversteer, done by just letting off the accelerator to induce oversteer.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Where'd you find that advice? That guy should have his nuts chopped off and his license revoked. (oh, okay, revoking his license might be a little harsh).

It is always best to brake in a straight line. Braking while cornering can lead to lots of nasty situations:

1. Braking while the car is turning can lead to snap-oversteer (it'll spin). While this might help in an autocross, on the road, you want the car to maintain the same attitude. If your car is understeering (it's not turning through the turn), you can use the brakes to trim the line... but if you're understeering, that means you're driving too fast through the turn.

2. Turning under heavy braking can lead to one of two things:

a. On a non-ABS equipped car, the extra angle of the front wheels can lead to reduced braking efficiency, heavy understeer, and a very long stop (you'll stop when you've hit whatever it is you were trying to avoid.

b. On an ABS-equipped car, it is possible to spin out or run off the road... See... when you're in an emergency, you panic... you hit the brakes, you steer. The brakes lock, so steering does nothing, you steer more... then the ABS kicks in... suddenly, the car shoots off in the direction you're steering to... but since you've added more steering, you veer off sharply to the side and possibly off the road.

Newer ABS algorithms may prevent such catastrophes, but you shouldn't rely on them... You should always... always brake first, then turn. While it's perfectly safe to brake lightly into a turn on a dry road... any amount of braking in a turn on a wet or dusty road is dangerous.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    BTW: any car can oversteer on lift-off or in braking into a corner... I've done it myself... and I've seen quite a few people spin on their first trip to the Batangas Race Circuit because they didn't know enough to not trailbrake on those bends.

It's just that on cheap, original equipment tires, most modern cars tend to understeer more.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Yup, not unless if your car is equipped with ABS, EBS, TCS etc. The tendency to oversteer would be lessened. But take note, you can't bend the law of physics. So it is better to brake in a straight line before entering a curve. This is what racer's do... But I am exempted in computer games. :lol:
    iam3739.com

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    You can practice your cornering with safety in the latest driving games. They can simulate the driving physics pretty accurately. Just get a car model as close to the one you normally drive.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrie Tella View Post
    Good morning. It was said that you avoid braking while cornering. Why? Recently, I found an advice which says that it is better to brake while cornering. Which is the better advice?
    Thanks.
    If entering the corner at high speed, you brake while cornering, you have two possible scenarios:

1. you can possibly loose control of your car since it will understeer. You will skid off the road, hit the tree beside the road and then you die.

2. you can possibly loose control of your car since it will oversteer. You will skid off the road backwards, hit the tree beside the road and then you die.

So, in that light, it is best to brake BEFORE the corner. Even with all the electronic aids like anti-lock brakes, electronic stability control, electronic traction control, etc cannot out-perform a driver who will take proper precaution when entering a corner.

Also when going through a corner, it is advisable to be as smooth with your steering and throttle inputs to maintain the car's balance through the curve.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    I don't know if this is right but I normally brake upon approach of the curve and step on the gas moderately inside the bend then flat out when i get to the straight...

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Tama naman.

Brake on the approach, only initiate turning once the weight has shifted and the car is already slowing down...

Step on the gas at the apex or just after, then floor it once straightened out on the exit.

On the racetrack, as you get more comfortable with the turns and your car, you can start to brake later, experiment with trimming your line with the brakes, experiment with getting on the gas a bit earlier, correcting oversteer with gas (FWD) or correcting understeer or inducing a drift with the gas (RWD)... or experiment initiating a neutral four wheel drift with some trail-braking to overcome understeer (any kind of car).

But it's not something you should play with on the road if there's a possibility of killing someone besides yourself...

10. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    normally ginagawa ko ay release sa gas pedal para bumaba yung momentum then bago magapproach ay downshift nalang, pero i could be wrong hehe...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Cornering