Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    understeer = tight car

oversteer = loose car

tama ba? hehe

2. Join Date
    Dec 2005

You should actually step on the gas pedal (lightly, depending on the curve) when cornering. It gives you the power to control your steering....

Sa driving school na in-attend-an ni Kumander, ang turo ng instructor, step on the brake pedal when cornering,- mabagal naman kasi.... So, I needed to show her why it should be the other way around...

Talagang mas iba kung M/T because you can downshift. It gives you better control of the corners especially kung inclined ang kalye.....

4606:rock:

3. Join Date
    Jun 2003
    yun sa drifting, ano yun? oversteer?

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by suysuy View Post
    understeer = tight car

oversteer = loose car

tama ba? hehe
    Nope.

A "loose" car is one that is unpredictable. Yes, generally, "loose" cars are more prone to oversteer, but you can oversteer without feeling loose.

A tight car can oversteer or understeer or do neither. "Tight" just means that it is predictable, won't suddenly bite you in the butt, and is easy to control at the limit or past the limit of adhesion.

--------

In a corner, pressing on the gas or brakes shifts the balance from understeer to oversteer. It's best to be doing neither, but at low speeds and in normal driving, it's not really very dangerous to tap the brakes lightly.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrie Tella View Post
    Good morning. It was said that you avoid braking while cornering. Why? Recently, I found an advice which says that it is better to brake while cornering. Which is the better advice?
    Thanks.
    :tumbleweed:

Will you be racing?

If so, consider this: I read an article few years back about two drivers belonging to the same Indy-CART team. Now on one particular track they had practice lap times were pretty close but telemetry showed they were driving very differently. One was had his braking done before entering a turn the other trail-braked.

But both had the same lap times.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    [SIZE=4]Hey, thanks guys.[/SIZE] What a way to die! I'm sorry I wasn't able to re-reply immediately. Anyway, the car was FWD and it understeers. It's tiring to drive especially without power steering. The advice actually included left foot braking. Heh, heh. How about that? :question:

I have another query by the way, which concerns the clutch pedal. Do you step on it as an alternative to braking? I used to do that to decelerate at a lesser rate before cornering, driving an RWD. It worked for me ... but does it really?

7. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrie Tella View Post
    [SIZE=4]Hey, thanks guys.[/SIZE] What a way to die! I'm sorry I wasn't able to re-reply immediately. Anyway, the car was FWD and it understeers. It's tiring to drive especially without power steering. The advice actually included left foot braking. Heh, heh. How about that? :question:
    hey bro, well most FWD cars are really prone to Understeer specially in hard cornering. but there are some FWD cars that has a very neutral handling and can Understeer or even Oversteer at a given rate of speed. and also, about Left Foot braking, well you can also do that but only if you are going to a corner really, really fast (on both Entry and Exit cornering). but if your just cornering on a very slow-moderate speed, then you dont even need to do the Left Foot braking technique. plus, you'll just waste your brakes.

I have another query by the way, which concerns the clutch pedal. Do you step on it as an alternative to braking? I used to do that to decelerate at a lesser rate before cornering, driving an RWD. It worked for me ... but does it really?
    well, about that. I dont think that releasing the Clutch (or stepping on the Clutch) can be an alternative for braking. maybe it works for regular daily driving (wether if the car is FWD or RWD). but for racing I'd keep the Clutch engaged all the time (and it dont matter how fast Im going or which gear I am at.. and again, it dont matter if its a FWD, AWD or RWD.) coz for me, keeping my Clutch engaged can help me on both Braking and Cornering (it helps you maintain faster Entry and Exit speeds too, which translates to faster lap times on the Circuit.) and the car is more predictable and controllable if you have your Clutch engaged during cornering.

anywayz, IMO and based on my experiences, the best, safest & probably one of the fastest way to enter and exit a corner is to:

-maintain the best possible (and safest possible) Speed upon entry & exit.
    -maintain the best possible line through the Apex.
    -be neutral on Braking (do not Trail or Late Brake too much)
    -initiate the best possible Weight Transfer. (do not over speed and/or brake upon corner entry)
    -Rev Matching. (always match your revs, use the Heel & Toe technique)
    -Throttle Modulation. (and this will matter wether if your car is a FWD, AWD, or RWD) maintain the best possible Throttle Position during cornering.
    -Steering Modulation. (maintain the best possible Steering position and angle during cornering.)

aite, peace.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Nabanggit na ni Auto_Xer yung trail braking.

While theoretically braking in a straight line is ideal, there will be situations where you will need to apply at least partial braking force while initiating the turn. From what I've observed though, such trail-braking or mid-corner braking done by drivers is characterized by a steady decrease in pedal pressure. In other words, any mid-corner braking should not be done suddenly or abruptly.

Just sharing what I've observed Whatever you do the key is to stay SMOOTH with all your inputs---steering, braking, throttle.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Thanks. 30 kph of cornering speed for me, a non racer, is too much. I feel the g force and I don't like it (Is it the centrifugal force?). At least when off the race track and carrying passengers. 20 kph is just about the max cornering speed for me ... for comfort

Thanks. :rofl01:

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    If the car is sufficiently going slow, I don't think there's any ill effects if the brakes are applied while in a turn. I've been doing that with the Ford Contour/Mondeo for 14 years and it still have the original discs.

I've also traveled mountain roads and had to do quick slow downs from 75 mph in a curving turn because a lumbering 18-wheeler suddenly came up ahead. No ill effects.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Cornering