New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Not really, the level of complexity is the same. Otherwise, the new Ford Escape would not be coming with a floor mounted shifter.

Column shifters are primarily targetted at saving space or giving a bigger feeling for passengers.
    Are you sure? Do you have hands on experience with this or you just read it?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I guess that would still be on a model to model basis. For old Benzes, the column shifter is a bit more complex as it is a direct mechanical linkage to the transmission living under the center console.

A lot of A/T shifters nowadays are nothing more than electric switches connected by wire to the transmission (even the transfer case lever of the GEN III Pajero is like this). You can practically place them anywhere (even in the stupidest of places like the ceiling, luggage compartment, etc.) and you'd only need longer wires and a way to mount it.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    My bad.I thought we're talking about MT here.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I thought we were talking about both.

Case to case lang talaga.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Yup. Most ATs are placeable anywhere you like. In fact, you probably don't really need a lever except for the ability to quickly shift it into reverse/neutral in an emergency.

Hands on experience? Are you asking me if I've ever dismantled a transmission by hand? :lol: Well, I haven't. but I've had engine swaps done, and I've done quite a bit of engine shopping for myself and others.

RE: Manual Trannies: Most transmissions on modern FWD cars don't go into the traditional "transmission tunnel" between the front seat like in RWD cars. If we're talking traditional RWD cars with MT shifters, yes, it's probably a simpler mechanism if the shifter is mounted on the tunnel.

But if we're talking transverse mounted FWD engines, or even RWD vans wherein the engine is under the driver, the position of the transmission doesn't allow you to directly tap it, so the shifter linkage is usually by cable or articulated rods, not direct mechanical linkage.

Which is why it's relatively easy to convert a Suzuki Super Carry, with the steering wheel and shifter in front of the engine, to a mini-jeep, with both items behind the engine. Well, simple for the shifter, anyway. I have no idea how they re-route the steering wheel.

As an aside: how come so many people are on my case lately? I'm not perfect, but I don't pull stuff out of my behind when I post...

What I meant with my previous post was: If you take the column shifter as merely a money-saving device, it doesn't work out. They have column shifters on very expensive cars, too. BMW's 7-series is a column shifter, while their 1, 3 and 5-series are floor shifter models. Column shifters on cheap cars are mostly found on those wherein there is importance placed on legroom, possibly wherein they want room for three people side by side. They've gone out of vogue on more modern cars simply because a floor shifter is easier to use for most people, and we don't sit like that anymore.

It's making a comeback on those expensive cars, though, because it makes them feel roomier and less... pedestrian... if there isn't a working-class shift lever in the middle of the console.
    Last edited by niky; August 22nd, 2006 at 02:00 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
column to floor