New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    sa carbed engine lang ata effective yun, di na sa efi

2. yebo8 Guest
    don't do that!

This practice of revving up before shutting down the engine is true only for military jeeps circa 1940s because those were equipped with carburators that get vapor lock in the mornings. Hindi ka naman sundalo ng world war II e bakit gaya-gaya ka sa kano?

These are what will happen if you do this:

1. It will destroy the catalytic converter (most new model cars are equipped with one.) It leaves unburned gasoline in the cat and this causes early failure of the catalysts inside. IT CAN ALSO LEAD TO AN EXPLOSION, AND I MEAN A BIG ONE! If you want to find out how big an explosion, put half a teaspoon of gasoline in a garbage bag, fill with air, shake and then light it up. Remember that 1 liter of gasoline mixed with air in the right amount has the explosive equivalent of 100 sticks of dynamite. Well if that is what it takes to wake you up in the morning e di bahala ka sa buhay mo, kung buhay ka pa ha.

2. It leaves unburned gasoline in the cylinders, exhaust pipes, cat and muffler which contributes to air pollution in the form of SMOG. Do you want your children to breath that when you start your car in the morning?

3. It wastes gasoline/diesel. Since it is left unburned, it is just the same as spilling it. Asyong aksaya ka ba?

4. That practice will leave gasoline on the cylinder walls and guess what happens when your enginewhen you start your car again. The piston and cylinder is lubricated not with oil but with gasoline, so expect premature wear on the rings and cylinders if you do that often. And as you do it over time, the gasoline condenses in the crankase leading to diluted oil. Do you want this for your engine?

Please read the user's manual of your car. It says there specifically NOT TO DO THIS.

Regarding what dazedchick said about removing carbon, if you want to remove carbon deposits from the valves and exhaust, the best thing to do is to red line your engine once in a while under load (i.e., while the car is moving in gear). That is what is called the "Ferrari tune up", taking your car to the expressway and just flooring the gas.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    ayos ung ferrari tune-up!!

atleast in-motion ung sasakyan mo!!:mrgreen:

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    yup, it's not good practice at all. all that unburned fuel invites trouble as yebo8 has expounded on.

i once saw a middle-aged man driving an SiR rev it up to 3000 rpm and suddenly shut the engine off while the revs peaked... aray! and this was during the day, and in school.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    yikes...that's exactly what im doing...reving it and then shutting my car off...i'm going to have my capacitors installed soon...wala pa kse me time dalhin sa installer ko e...thanks sa mga inputs...anyways, what's the best thing to do para hindi madrain ang batt?

peace!!

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    and it doesn't make ANY SENSE AT ALL...

just think about it... what would your single rev do compared to the several hours you've spend driving the car??? your engine would be revving over 2-3KRPM when your driving anyway, what difference would one rev make?

another one of those pinas old-mechanic's-tales...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
is it bad...