New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Hi fellow tsikoteers who are using the Fiesta Ecoboost or Focus Trend, your firsthand owner's review are highly appreciated. I test drove a Fiesta Ecoboost yesterday and I was quite impressed; quite zippy and responsive, very decent pull (grippier tires will make its handling better, I guess). Ford Libis has no test unit for the Focus Trend so I cannot compare how it drives against the Fiesta Ecoboost. The Focus has a bigger interior compared to the Fiesta, specially in the rear. I find the seats good in both units and driving position is just right. The Focus feels more upscale and I like the way the console still has the temperature gauge. The Fiesta has no temperature gauge, much like the City or Jazz.

We are now comtemplating of getting it or the Focus 1.6L HB. I'm sold already on the driving dynamics of the Fiesta Ecoboost but I like the roomier interior of the Focus. I am not expecting a zippy drive on the Focus Trend as it has same power output as Fiesta Ecoboost but lesser torque plus the porkier weight. Ford is lauding the fuel efficiency of the Fiesta Ecoboost. By the way, the car will be used as a daily driver in case we have decided to get one.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    I was faced with the roughly the same dilemma - I had my eye on the Focus Sport 2.0 until the Fiesta Sport Ecoboost unexpectedly came along ... I test drove both (as well as Focus Trend, and Focus Ambiente MT - which is my favorite Focus because I actually dislike automatic transmissions).

Eventually, I picked the Fiesta Sport Ecoboost because it is lighter, more responsive and is much more fun. It actually accelerates faster than the Focus Trend and Sport or at least feels like it does which is more important than actual figures. It seems too, that the turbocharged and low drag Ecoboost engine suits the Powershift transmission better than any of the bigger naturally aspirated engines on the Focus. The otherwise balky transmission is much easier to use and smoother with the Ecoboost's low down torque which feel a bit like a torque converter because of the amount of torque available early and all the time.

The stock Hankook Optimo 426 tires actually have a lot of grip, I havent been able to get them to slide about and I drive aggressively. The Fiesta chassis is so sorted out that it doesnt really matter what tires are on them. Having said that changing the wheels and tires to 205-45R17 like that of the Fiesta ST would get the best handling and grip possible ... and it maybe a good idea because one thing I dont like about the Fiesta Ecoboost is the wheels ... they are hard to clean because there are too many spokes and too many nooks and crannies where dirt accumulate.

It is also quite frugal at the pumps - I average around 10km/L and that is all city driving (about half civilized driving when there is no choice and half aggressive driving when the road opens up especially after midnight) and no Focus variant (or any gasoline powered car with sporty pretensions) will come anywhere close this figure. A word of caution though ... it is very easy to get carried away with the torque of the 1.0 Ecoboost engine I sometimes find myself going 160-180kph along SLEX/Skyway, or literally almost flying up flyovers at 100-140kph rather effortlessly and obviously the fuel economy isnt as great when you drive it so hehe.

As for size ... the Focus is a bigger car undoubtedly but its interior space is actually just slightly bigger than the Fiesta's. From the driver's POV ... the Fiesta actually feel more spacious ( but obviously narrower) because the Focus' more posh dashboard is also far bulkier and eats up precious knee room. The Fiesta's round side aircon vents are also more adjustable, flexible and has more reach than the Focus' vertical side vents.

As for the rear ... despite negative reviews; either car is actually decent and are more than acceptable for asian sized driver and passengers. Same with bootspace ... Fiesta is small, Focus is a bit bigger but both are relatively small compared to the competition, but it is enough space for the usual shopping and for bigger items ... just fold the rear seats down and lose the passengers hehe.

Oh and the Fiesta Ecoboost has no problem hauling driver + 4 passengers because of its pulling power ... its torque feels potent whether with no passenger or fully loaded. After all, the same engine is also fitted to the Focus and Mondeo which are much heavier cars.

I recently drove a Mazda 3 2.0 hatch which is a pretty good car. I've been waiting for it and I prefer it to the Focus 2.0 overall but it felt too much like CX5 (heavy and too hesitant) compared to the feisty little Fiesta Ecoboost. I am very happy with my choice. The only thing I want now is a Fiesta ST hehe.

Btw the Fiesta Ecoboost has a temperature gauge. What is missing is the boost gauge hehe ..

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Thanks, coolhyperion, for the in-depth first-hand review of the Fiesta Ecoboost. After a few days of thinking, we are already leaning towards the Fiesta Ecoboost. It's a little car that could. When I drove it, I didn't miss the normal pull I experience with my old but reliable 6th gen Accord. Since you use the SLEX/Skyway, I assume you are also from the southern part of Metro Manila. I take the same route daily also going to Makati.

I checked the pictures in the web and the temperature gauge is digital. I didn't pay attention to it as I was looking for the usual analog gauge. I have already been toying in my mind with the idea of putting 205/45/17 grippy tires on it but 17x7 4x108 is not that common unlike the 17x7 5x108 of the Focus.
    Last edited by Egan101; July 1st, 2014 at 10:38 AM.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    You are welcome.

I live in Manila and my usual route is around central Metro Manila but I do forays to the south (Alabang, Sta Rosa and Cavite) every now and then. Your FC should be even better if you take the SLEX/Skyway everyday.

Our Asian Fiesta is PCD100 btw, not 108 ... and the available aftermarket wheels are usually 17x7.5 4xPCD100.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Oh really? It is 4x100, not 4x108. That makes it a lot easier. Thanks again.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2017
    hi sirs,

sorry to bump up an old thread. but i am eyeing to buy a second hand 2014 fiesta ecoboost. how are your rides doing so far? Can you still recommend it?

Thanks in advance.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 4dirk1 View Post
    hi sirs,

sorry to bump up an old thread. but i am eyeing to buy a second hand 2014 fiesta ecoboost. how are your rides doing so far? Can you still recommend it?

Thanks in advance.
    45k km and still as feisty when I got it 3 years ago. It is still one fun car to drive.

When buying a used one, make sure to give it a test drive and check the maintenance records. How much is it?

8. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 4dirk1 View Post
    hi sirs,

Thanks in advance.
    oil catch can..is a must

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tsikot Forums mobile app