New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by s_quilicot View Post
    i just happened to test drive the 2.0L dual clutch focus.

grabe lakas ng torque. parang papalitan na namin 1.8 altis namin with this focus.

grabe ganda. pero masikip.
    Yup, the Focus TDCi DSG is a very fun drive because of the loads of torque available even at low RPMs. Too bad the interior of the car still lets it down against other cars in it's class and price range, namely the Lancer EX GT-A.

Another car that might match the Focus is the Hyundai i30 but with only a 1.6 turbo diesel engine, it has less power than the Focus TDCi but still enough to match the other 2.0L petrol powered cars in the class. It's also a fun drive but you will certainly feel the lower limits of it's performance/handling if compared to cars like the Lancer & Focus.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Yup, the Focus TDCi DSG is a very fun drive because of the loads of torque available even at low RPMs. Too bad the interior of the car still lets it down against other cars in it's class and price range, namely the Lancer EX GT-A.

Another car that might match the Focus is the Hyundai i30 but with only a 1.6 turbo diesel engine, it has less power than the Focus TDCi but still enough to match the other 2.0L petrol powered cars in the class. It's also a fun drive but you will certainly feel the lower limits of it's performance/handling if compared to cars like the Lancer & Focus.
    well said GH.

if im gonna rate the looks, surely the focus would be the last and the lancer would be my top picl.

re: the torque of foucs.

i can still feel the pressure on my back when floored it.

i was able to go beyond 120kmh * commonwealth yesterday at around 12NN considering thers a lot of traffic. sarapa mag overtake.

only downside for me is the sapce, legroom headroom.

and oh, the interior materials feels cheap for me IMO.

is it a gamble to buy the dual clucth GH?

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The dual clutch system is electronically controlled to preserve the clutches. It won't allow clutch sliding or juddering.

They should last longer than a regular manual clutch, given the same driving... probably well past 100,000 kilometers. Yun lang, you're stuck with casa replacement when they go.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    The dual clutch system is electronically controlled to preserve the clutches. It won't allow clutch sliding or juddering.

They should last longer than a regular manual clutch, given the same driving... probably well past 100,000 kilometers. Yun lang, you're stuck with casa replacement when they go.
    niky, is it normal na there's a slight delay on the gear change whenever i use the manual mode?

almost half a second.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    is it a gamble to buy the dual clucth GH?
    Assuming you will not do drag race launches in the car, the Focus DSG would actually be a good buy IF you can gamble on the rest of the car having minimal trouble in the long run. The DSG would be the least of your worries.

At least you have alternatives outside the Ford casa if you need to have some parts replaced. Even then, simple parts can still be friggin' expensive.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    niky, is it normal na there's a slight delay on the gear change whenever i use the manual mode?

almost half a second.
    Yes, but very slight from my test drive.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004

almost half a second.
    Yup. Depends on what gear and whether you're on the power or not. The gear changes themselves are instant. The decision of the ECU whether to let you change gears or not, isn't.

The only part of the Focus TDCi which is not common with the regular Focus is the engine itself and the ECU. All suspension and body parts are common with the regular Focus, and, in a pinch, you can actually use Mazda3 suspension bits with a bit of shaving and shoehorning, but the tuning is different... meaning to say, the Mazda3's suspension settings suck compared to the Focus... especially the new Focus, which is much better than the previous one.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Yes, but very slight from my test drive.
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Yup. Depends on what gear and whether you're on the power or not. The gear changes themselves are instant. The decision of the ECU whether to let you change gears or not, isn't.

The only part of the Focus TDCi which is not common with the regular Focus is the engine itself and the ECU. All suspension and body parts are common with the regular Focus, and, in a pinch, you can actually use Mazda3 suspension bits with a bit of shaving and shoehorning, but the tuning is different... meaning to say, the Mazda3's suspension settings suck compared to the Focus... especially the new Focus, which is much better than the previous one.
    Thanks chikboys

btw, what do you think of focus's interior? for me its kindi "cheap" materials.

horn button is hard and only on the center of the steering wheel.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Thanks chikboys

btw, what do you think of focus's interior? for me its kindi "cheap" materials.
    I wouldn't call it cheap, they actually improved the interior by giving the 2009 Focus soft touch plastics (dashboard & doors).

horn button is hard and only on the center of the steering wheel.
    I'm not sure about the 2009 model, but with the pre-facelift model, you can still honk the horn by pressing the sides of the steering wheel hub, but it requires more force so I just press the area near the center of the hub when I use the horn.
    Last edited by AG4; February 17th, 2009 at 08:52 PM.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Yeah. The plastics are much better than last year's model... softer. The only thing cheaper is the finish on the center stack.

Sagot lang diyan? Spray paint the center stack...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
FORD FOCUS? Worth it?