The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Softdrinks tax proposed
    By Leila B. Salaverria
    Philippine Daily Inquirer
    9:45 pm | Wednesday, December 25th, 2013

MANILA, Philippines — Following the higher taxes on “sin” products such as alcohol and cigarettes, could those bottles of cola be next in line?

Higher taxes should be imposed on soft drinks and the like, especially now that the revenue to be collected would go to such an important project as the rehabilitation of calamity-stricken areas, Nueva Ecija Rep. Estrellita Suansing said.

Suansing has filed a bill that would impose a 10 percent ad valorem tax on soft drinks and carbonated beverages sold in bottles and other tight containers.

She said the benefits of the measure would be two-fold: it would provide the government with a source of revenue for the massive rebuilding of the provinces leveled by recent the recent massive earthquake in the Visayas and the series of destructive typhoons, the latest being Yolanda; and it could help lower the risk of people contracting certain illnesses.

Suansing’s bill specifies that the funds to be collected from the imposition of the ad valorem tax would go to the Rehabilitation Fund for calamity victims, and would be used for such programs as livelihood development, mass housing, road construction, and other infrastructure projects.

“Filipinos are resilient and can rise above all these calamities. However, necessary funds and revenues for the rehabilitation are needed,” she said in her explanatory note.

She also touted the health benefits that would come with higher soft drink taxes. An increase in the price of soft drinks and carbonated beverages could help wean consumers from buying these products.

“Aside from the rehabilitation fund, another purpose of the bill is to curb the consumption of soft drinks and carbonated drinks. There have been studies which have shown that consumption of such types of goods increase the risk of developing health problems such as blood sugar disorders, obesity, diabetes and other related diseases like bone fractures, hyperacidity, tooth decay, and heart problems,” she said.

According to her, the Philippines would not be the first to impose more taxes for non-alcoholic drinks.

“Other countries like the USA, France, Netherlands and Finland have realized the need to impose taxes on soft drinks and carbonated drinks,” she added.

Suansing’s bill notes that the soft drink industry is currently subjected to value added tax, income tax, withholding tax, local and real property taxes, and customs duties.

Flavored and colored syrups that are needed to manufacture soft drinks are not subjected to excise tax, and only to the 12 percent VAT and customs duties if these are imported.
    source: Softdrinks tax proposed | Inquirer News

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Wouldn't this be considered as double taxation and be deemed illegal? Given softdrinks are already taxed by VAT, charging another 10% tax would just be another "milking" of the population by the government for more money?

3. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Wouldn't this be considered as double taxation and be deemed illegal? Given softdrinks are already taxed by VAT, charging another 10% tax would just be another "milking" of the population by the government for more money?
    I think we're doubly taxed in a lot of ways especially with all sorts of goods are taxed, processed then taxed again with VAT. We'll now see how good the soda industries' lobbyists are.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Sa laki ng ninanakaw ng gobyerno at politiko sa tax natin kailangan talaga nilang humanap ng additional money para mabayaran ang utang natin sa ibang bansa. Hindi naman papayag ang mga iyang, government workers and politicians, itigil o liitan man lang ninanakaw nila.

Sent from my mind using Telepathy 2

5. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Why not tax the air while you're at it Suansing?

6. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    my comment on any new proposed tax is, "why not improve the effectivity in collecting current taxes, before resorting to new taxes? if we can do this, we won't need new taxes!"

7. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Sir dr. D, di ata BIR ang may say dito - in my opinion eto ay isang way to test the water on the recently abolished pdaf. Kaya tignan niyo ang gusto ung specific tax na iyun ay pupunta to rebuild the visayas region, pero di sinabi kung saan pupunta or sino magbenefit sa initial fund. So most likely isang pdaf scheme ito in the making na nakacovert sa improvement.

Tengenang pdaf yan dami umaangal na scholar eh wala pang 1% ang totoong scholar karamihan mga kabit ng pulitiko ang scholar kuno.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tsikot Forums Mobile App mobile app

8. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    as i understand it, BIR simply collects taxes. it is congress that institutes new taxes. and yes, you might be right at that pdaf thingee...
    Last edited by dr. d; December 26th, 2013 at 03:31 AM.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    as i understand it, BIR simply collects taxes. it is congress that institutes new taxes. and yes, you might be right at that pdaf thingee...
    Yes sir gumagawa na naman ng pagkakaperahan tong mga hudas na to. Sorry sa mga terminology gago kasi tong mga *******ng to sa gobyerno natinm

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tsikot Forums Mobile App mobile app

10. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Wouldn't mind if they tax softdrinks more...

Soda, which is loaded with sugar primarily in the form of high fructose corn syrup, is a leading contributor to the rising rates of obesity, diabetes, heart disease and other chronic diseases facing Americans.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast