New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    i've been to most of our asian neighbors and sampled their food. and lately we've been watching quite a bit of youtube stuff on the chromecast in the kitchen TV, particularly the food vloggers Mark Weins and The Food Ranger...

can't help but notice that the food of our asian neighbors, even just the "street food", are quite a bit more varied and complex than ours. funny thing is when Mark Wiens visited PH he never ventured outside of his hotel. perhaps because of fear of being mugged, or maybe because there's really no street food here in PH that's worth vlogging about

which reminds me of what my american cousin remarked to me. that the PH has no cultural export so starting today make every effort to show the world that pinoys are world-class

2. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    I'd stick with cuisine muna.

Yep imagine when someone says asian cuisine its either chinese, japanese or thai which is very sad.

Never ata naging mainstream choice for asian food ang Pinoy cuisine.

Watch food channels sa cable, bihira na tayo ang featured.

Dahil ba mula noon colonized tayo? Lahat ng chibog naten puros inspired by other cuisines? Nawalan tayo ng originality and identity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    About that Mark Wiens nababadtrip ako dyan ang OA ng reaction pag kumakain hehe

Yup Spiral lang ata tinry niya nung andito siya.

BTT

Mag abroad ka excited ka tikman ang streetfoods offered.

Dito?

Nakupo mapapaisip ka muna hehe

Unless nasa mga posh place offered yan like weekend market / mercato / banchetto and the likes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka View Post
    i've been to most of our asian neighbors and sampled their food. and lately we've been watching quite a bit of youtube stuff on the chromecast in the kitchen TV, particularly the food vloggers Mark Weins and The Food Ranger...

can't help but notice that the food of our asian neighbors, even just the "street food", are quite a bit more varied and complex than ours. funny thing is when Mark Wiens visited PH he never ventured outside of his hotel. perhaps because of fear of being mugged, or maybe because there's really no street food here in PH that's worth vlogging about

which reminds me of what my american cousin remarked to me. that the PH has no cultural export so starting today make every effort to show the world that pinoys are world-class

Ive been following mark weins and his wife for awhile, my favorite vlog is his korean episode, i understand where you are getting at, even bourdain wasnt impressed when he came here, our saving grace was our cebu lechon though, as of now the only avenue other countries in asia can taste our food thru jolibee...in the states naman raming pinoy restaurants like jeepney and the like...btw..i went to this part of seoul where they serve bopis, dinuguan and puto, there was also SMB light btw...most of the patrons where koreans...

5. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cast_no_shadow View Post
    About that Mark Wiens nababadtrip ako dyan ang OA ng reaction pag kumakain hehe

Yup Spiral lang ata tinry niya nung andito siya.

LOL. yeah that ridiculous expression on his face when he likes something

yeah he just went w/ the hotel buffet and went straight to boracay (which is a rant for another day, you know how bora is that pretentious little island )

there's no question pinoys can execute int'l cuisine very very well, like in that hotel buffet. but unfortunately for our own local cuisine, there's really no long history of cultural development that we could draw from

*but perhaps my cousing was wrong about the PH having no cultural export. visit any hotel and the band playing would be pinoys. but guess what they're playing, not pinoy music (and the vocalist would be trying hard to mimic some sort of american accent). so i guess my cousin is still right

6. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Warning: this post may be going a bit into the deep end...

i hope nobody gets offended...my theory as to why our culture(cuisine included) isn't that well known, despite OFWs being scattered across the face of the earth, is that there is no pride of ownership.

Yes, we say we are proud to be Filipino, but i feel there is this inherent feeling of inferiority, especially when you see how developed other countries are. So we tend to adapt to other cultures rather than promote our own;that our culture is "not good enough" to be exported; imported is always better than local; we have a "pwede na" attitude instead of striving for perfection(e.g. Japanese).. and so on, which is really unfortunate, because Filipinos are actually very capable(well, except maybe in self-governance)...

...and our food tastes damn good, even if it's just boiled bananas.
    Last edited by badkuk; August 1st, 2016 at 11:46 PM.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by badkuk View Post
    Warning: this post may be going a bit into the deep end...

i hope nobody gets offended...my theory as to why our culture(cuisine included) isn't that well known, despite OFWs being scattered across the face of the earth, is that there is no pride of ownership.

Yes, we say we are proud to be Filipino, but i feel there is this inherent feeling of inferiority, especially when you see how developed other countries are. So we tend to adapt to other cultures rather than promote our own; imported is always better than local; we have a "pwede na" attitude instead of striving for perfection(e.g. Japanese).. and so on, which is really unfortunate, because Filipinos are actually very capable(well, except maybe in self-governance)

yeah exactly. well this is just a little observation plus a little rant thrown in i just wanna say that for pinoys to be actually proud of ourselves (not just lip service) is to have things to be really proud of. so far there's very little. so we can start today. it's not too late. this mediocrity has to stop

as for offending, there's this little story about how korean airlines used to crash a lot in the 70's. turned out the copilots didn't want to correct the pilots when they were doing something wrong, for fear of offending them. so perhaps pinoys should now be ready to change and accept criticism, and not so easily be offended

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Why not make a list of all PH dishes before feeling sorry? Quite honestly, I don't see any reason to be ashamed, foreign gourmets be damned.

My wife makes a lot dishes I don't recognize. Many of them taste good. I especially like the crab in coconut broth.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    filipinos were too busy killing each other or their colonizers so we had mostly easy to cook no frills food. our neighbors were too busy sucking their colonizers' or their kings' d!cks. our neighbors only thought of freedom after we won ours in 1898 and it took them another 60+ years to gain independence. they had all the time to experiment in their kitchens. on the contrary most filipino foods we like now (e.g., kare-kare, crispy pata, etc) were all developed after independence, some of them fairly recently.
    Last edited by yebo; August 2nd, 2016 at 11:06 AM.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Masyado lang tayong nadadala sa novelty ng foreign cuisine dahil sa mga cooking shows on cable.

When we hear Japanese cuisine we immediately think sushi, sashimi, tempura, yakiniku and the like. But in everyday meals all they have is breaded chicken, breaded pork, fried this and that. Tayo may "all-in-one" (soup, meat, veggies) na sinigang, nilaga, tinola, etc.

Tapatalked

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast