New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    My daily drive is a Honda Civic 1.8S A/T and it's been with me since January 2008. Since new, I've always had the oil replaced at or around every 6 months. Why? Well, the manual states that the oil change interval should be every 10,000KM or 6 months, whichever comes first. Since my drives are 90% stop and go or bumper-to-bumper city driving with the heat, dirt, pollution and all, and spending a lot of time with the engine on idle, these were considered as Extreme Conditions as per the manual. As such, I was pretty religious with the PMS (done mostly at Honda SPA).

But as with anything mechanical, there will always be wear and tear. In my case, it came in the form of the two rubber O-rings sealing the VTEC valve and the plastic valve cover, respectively. The O-rings have become brittle from the heat of the engine. As such, the engine recently started to leak motor oil. It's a minor problem and all that was needed was to replace the two O-rings. This meant removing the plastic valve cover and the VTEC valve.

Long story short, I was able to have the O-rings replaced but what got my attention was how clean the inside of my engine is. It's already nearing 7 years with about 70,4xx KM under its belt. Yet, the inside still looks new. Even the mechanic made a note of how clean it was.

My R18 engine with the valve cover off:

By comparison, here is another R18 engine with sludge buildup due to neglecting to change the oil as prescribed:

Sludge on R18A, orangehonda.tumblr.com - YouTube

Here's another link about the subject matter: http://orangehonda.tumblr.com/post/9...nce-from-first

In summary, preventive maintenance is not always about service centers ripping you off. If done right, it WILL significantly extend the life of your car. The reason I always go to Honda SPA is that they allow customers full access to their cars even while it's up on a lift (at your own personal risk, of course). You're also allowed to interact with the mechanics actually fixing it. These technicians have seen it all and you can stand to learn a thing or two about your car ordinary people don't know about.

And also, don't skimp on quality fluids, especially on a Honda. I know it sounds like a marketing thing but I personally believe that there's really something to it. Anyway, I always use Honda Fully-Synth 5W40. Once, I tried the Honda 0W20 "Green" motor oil but I didn't liked the engine response. I think our weather is way too hot for a '20' weight oil. I also use Honda PSF for the power steering, Honda ATF-Z1/DW1 for the automatic transmission, and Honda Type-2 (NOT Type-1) Coolant well, as coolant. I don't allow equivalents/substitutions where fluids are concerned. So far, this has rewarded me with a relatively trouble-free drivetrain.

DISCLAIMER: I am NOT in any way, shape, or form, affiliated with Honda, Honda Philippines, or any Honda Service Center. I'm just your everyday car and all thingamajig enthusiast.
    Last edited by oj88; November 13th, 2014 at 11:39 AM.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    ^

My Toyota's engine should be much cleaner ...... IMHO.

I have PMS every 5000 Kms.

Just pulling your leg .......

3. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    in addition to changing the engine oil regularly, keep the normal operating temperature of the engine with a working thermostat, keep the PCV valve clean and in working condition. even if you change the oil religiously if any of the two-PCV valve and the thermostat are out of order, you will still have sludge buildup

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    LOL.

If you do the math, my oil change interval comes out to about the same as yours. (approx. 7 years * 70,000)

5. Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Every 5,000 change oil din ... I also can't follow the 10,000 oil change kasi grabe talaga driving dito.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1415854940801.jpg  

6. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    I had to put it up here because it's surprising that a lot of people doesn't know that not replacing the oil soon enough is almost as bad as not using oil at all.

Most of the time, they just top it up with oil believing that for as long they get the level right, the engine is fine. Little do they know that there are tiny oil passageways and orifices inside the engine that can get clogged up with sludge. That becomes a recipe for oil starvation which can eventually kill the engine.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    how about oil burning?..sa akin pag naka 9k-10k kms almost half yung nawawala sa dip stick..

my 09 civic nasa 96T kms na..only major problem yung front disc warping and right rear hub bearing..yun pa lang naging problema

i think kaya common yung rear hub bearing is because of misallignment..kaya dapat 1 or twice a year dapat nag papa wheel allignment...my 5yrs old civic after 4yrs lang nakatikim ng wheel alignment..

Posted via Tsikot Mobile App
    Last edited by ozcity; November 13th, 2014 at 02:55 PM.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    awesome post bro. can't beat good maintenance. too bad the o-ring cracked. how much was the cost of service?

9. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ozcity View Post
    how about oil burning?..sa akin pag naka 9k-10k kms almost half yung nawawala sa dip stick..
    How's your driving style?

Laid back?

Or run it like you stole it?

Frequent redline visits (and long high rpm/speed drives) lead to a bit of oil being consumed.

BTT:

Synthetics have very good detergent qualities, hence the sparkling engine internals.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2014

here's my 9yo honda L13A i-dsi

i go up to 10,000km intervals (or 6months whichever comes first)

100% honda-branded dino juice

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Why changing oil at the prescribed interval is crucial