New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2010
    My car is a Toyota Corolla XE 95. I had it overhauled, tuned up, replaced timing belt, replaced the motor in the radiator, modified the carb with a brand new 4k carb, replaced all stuffs with regards to "kalampag", had done everything i know with regards to fuel consumption to save gas, yet it still consumes alot... city driving is 6.5-8km per liter, long drives 7.5-8.5km at the most...

i really am having problems with it... most cars of the same model consumes atleast 10-14km per liter after having read most forums here and other sites... what could be the problem?

Most friends and mechanics i ask suggested to have the carb's jet adjusted to smaller one... but it will sacrifice something, that is, yung hatak daw... but what i am trying to understand is that, why other cars of the same model, even the taxi is fuel efficient than mine? they haven't adjusted their jets yet.. thats what my friends say, some with 2e carb and others with 4k carb... help!!!

2. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    baka naman sa way of driving mo bro?

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    How about potential source of "friction" and others?

Dragging brakes?
    Wheel alignment?
    Wheel bearings?
    Does the ac compressor & alternator turn easily?
    Are the engine drive belts NOT over tightened?
    Is the timing correct and NOT too advanced?

4. Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by desert fox View Post
    baka naman sa way of driving mo bro?
    i short shift most of the time and i dont rush, i leave early cause i drive slower that in my college days cause i want to save more fuel, i dont even reach 80kph on my daily route, i gave up being a road hog along time ago... it can also be my way of driving, can you suggest more so i can try it?

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    How about potential source of "friction" and others?

Dragging brakes?
    Wheel alignment?
    Wheel bearings?
    Does the ac compressor & alternator turn easily?
    Are the engine drive belts NOT over tightened?
    Is the timing correct and NOT too advanced?
    Brakes - had it checked also
    wheel alignment- had it checked too
    bearings - had it replaced including the rack and pinion i think thats what it is called and everything that attached to it including the rubber thing, ball joints, and i guess a shock absorber
    AC and alternator - i had it adjusted to the very minimal, correct me if i am wrong - the gauge does not reach number 1 when it is idle with and w/o aircon...
    timing - (if this is the one concerning timing belts etc) i had it corrected, replaced the belts just before i had it overhauled...

i am really having problems- i had spend that much i can buy another car of the same model (but an ex taxi)

5. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    ganyan talaga bro kapag carb....bago umalis, wag ka na masyadong magpainit ng sasakyan.after 5 seconds, sibat na pero wag naman high acceleration....usual lang ba...iwas sa extra load sa compartment.

check mo air filter mo bro, baka low class,o baka madumi.

baka di ok ang timpla ng air-gas mo....baka more on gas,less air...

sa driving, the higher the number na nagshift ka ng gear,less ang gas na maconsume mo....yan e kung di ka galit sa silinyador....

check your tire pressure too.....

6. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    ano ang base idle mo, and is it A/T or M/T ?

7. Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bambino View Post
    ano ang base idle mo, and is it A/T or M/T ?
    base idle? you mean yung sa gauge on gas? i think it aroung 0.5-0.7... M/T. saka hindi na rin ako nagpapainit masyado ng makina... usually atleast a minute for oil to cover everything lang.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    You can Isolate the cause your problems 1 by one, you can start with air conditioning system. Try traveling your normal route with air con off the whole time, if you reach at least 9-10 km per liter then your cooling system's thermostat might be at fault. You may try this then post the results so we cab help you further.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by batusai_jr View Post
    My car is a Toyota Corolla XE 95. I had it overhauled, tuned up, replaced timing belt, replaced the motor in the radiator, modified the carb with a brand new 4k carb, replaced all stuffs with regards to "kalampag", had done everything i know with regards to fuel consumption to save gas, yet it still consumes alot... city driving is 6.5-8km per liter, long drives 7.5-8.5km at the most...

i really am having problems with it... most cars of the same model consumes atleast 10-14km per liter after having read most forums here and other sites... what could be the problem?

Most friends and mechanics i ask suggested to have the carb's jet adjusted to smaller one... but it will sacrifice something, that is, yung hatak daw... but what i am trying to understand is that, why other cars of the same model, even the taxi is fuel efficient than mine? they haven't adjusted their jets yet.. thats what my friends say, some with 2e carb and others with 4k carb... help!!!
    Woah! 10-14Km per liter? I drive a vios and am only getting about 11km per liter city drivinf.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Try mo mag modify ng air filter... try mo yung cone types na filter. It give better air flow sa carbs. How about yung menor mo? Baka naman masyadong mataas?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
What could be the problem? (carb engine / high gas consumption)