New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    I just had the valve cover and half moon gasket of my 4d56 replaced yesterday due to oil leak. Only to find out the leak worsened when I got home.

I suspect that the mechanic used a wrong type of sealant (Pioneer black rtv silicone - Republic Chemical Industries Inc. - Pioneer Adhesives, Epoxies and Resins - Mighty Gasket ). If this is the culprit, whats a good gasket sealant?
    Also, whats the proper way to install the gasket? Just a dab of sealant on the edges or put sealant on the entire edge/groove of the valve cover?

TIA.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    AFAIK, edges lang dapat. Try copper gasket sealant. Madami sa Concorde niyan.
    Good for sealing daw yung copper.

like this:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by crazy_boy; October 10th, 2013 at 10:29 AM.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Did the mechanic retorque all the bolts properly as well?

4. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    I had just done the same procedure with my Toyota 2C, due to oil leak from valve cover. I thought it needs a retourqe, but the mechanic said it needs only to reseal the gasket. When he opened the cover, I noticed that the seal was already pressed down, and without any springy action, and the bolt is made of aluminum, and obviously does not need torque as it will break if more pressure is applied. The mechanic just made a good clean up of the edge (he did not remove the old seal/gasket) and applied Loctite Superflex White RTV (the drawing on the package suggest that it is used for flange), and retighten the bolt normally. It is almost a week now and the leak is gone.

In my opinion even red or black RTV sealant, the one used for oil pan will be sufficient as there is no high pressure in the overhead cam of my 2C engine; I don't know in your case.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    Did the mechanic retorque all the bolts properly as well?
    I assumed sir. I'm not sure if they used the proper torque though. I just assumed since the mechanics are Mitsu experts (El Dorado). Im thinking I made them use the wrong sealant (my own spare).

6. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy_boy View Post
    AFAIK, edges lang dapat. Try copper gasket sealant. Madami sa Concorde niyan.
    Good for sealing daw yung copper.

like this:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanks. Have you had experience using this sir? Id like to get one before I get home. Madali lang naman pala iDIY.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by b0y37 View Post
    Thanks. Have you had experience using this sir? Id like to get one before I get home. Madali lang naman pala iDIY.
    my mechanic used the copper spray gasket for the cylinder head gasket of my car before. according to him, "lumalapat" daw ng mabuti yung copper sa sulok sulukan thats why its good.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Hmmm, baka konti ang nalagay na sealant nung mekaniko or nagkamali ng paglagay ng sealant yun mekaniko. Nagpalit na ko ng valve cover once by myself at tama yun sabi ni CB na dapat edges lang. Di kelangan sobra kapal nun sealant pero di naman dapat sobrang nipis at dapat evenly spread at dapat ma-seal yun within 3 minutes after application, at dapat, malinis na malinis yun papatungan ng valve cover gasket. Ginamit ko lang na silicon gasket eh yun Pioneer RTV na pula.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by testament11 View Post
    Hmmm, baka konti ang nalagay na sealant nung mekaniko or nagkamali ng paglagay ng sealant yun mekaniko. Nagpalit na ko ng valve cover once by myself at tama yun sabi ni CB na dapat edges lang. Di kelangan sobra kapal nun sealant pero di naman dapat sobrang nipis at dapat evenly spread at dapat ma-seal yun within 3 minutes after application, at dapat, malinis na malinis yun papatungan ng valve cover gasket. Ginamit ko lang na silicon gasket eh yun Pioneer RTV na pula.
    Minimal lang din yung nilagay nung mekaniko. Valve cover --> gasket ---> sealant on the edges.

Hindi na rin nya nilagyan ng sealant yung paligid nung makina. Pero ang na-notice ko, nasa bandang likod yung leak, bandang sa half moon.
    Hmm.. mukhang mali ata yung sealant na pinagamit ko. I made him use the black one. Though I dont think na aabot naman ng > 200 deg C aabot yung temp ng makina, kaya pa rin dapat nung Pioneer RTV na itim?

10. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Mas prefer ko yun RTV sealant either Red or Black. Pero dapat tangalin lahat ng old sealant linisan surface ng cylinder head and cover. Wipe off oil using kerosene or carb cleaner before applying thin layer of sealant. Hindi kasi maganda kapit ng sealant kapag may oil.
    Hindi na rin ako gumagamit ng torque wrench sa paghigpit sa mga bolt kung dati nabubuksan ang valve cover.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast