New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    question lang mga tol:
    after parking your car (garage/parking lot or wherever) how soon do you turn the engine off ? may difference ba for different kinds of car (kung AT/MT or kung EFI/carburetor etc.) ?

ako kasi...practice ko lang na mga 1 minute after settling on any parking lot tsaka ko lang i-off ang engine. or if ever tumatakbo pa auxilliary fan, hintay ko muna mag-auto off bago ko patay engine.
    notice ko naman sa ibang drivers, nagre-rev muna ilang beses bago i-off. any good thing about this practice?

any comments will be appreciated

thanks!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    pag may turbo kailangan hintayin mo 1-2 minutes bago patayin. Pag regular non turbo car yan patayin mo na kaagad sayang lang gas.

AFAIK, masama i-rev bago patayin ang makina, don't know about diesel engines.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    AFAIK revving before turning the engine off just waste precious gasoline.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Turn it off.

Read the car manual(if you still have it though), car manuals contain information such as these. Some samples of instructions in car manuals include: "Do not leave the engine idling for long periods of time.", "If you are going to idle the engine for longer than 3 minutes, turn it off and save gas"... and so on....
    Last edited by chris_d; March 31st, 2005 at 11:41 PM.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    re. revving before switching the ignition off: aside from wasting fuel i read it in a honda leaflet na you risk putting "dirty" fuel on the cylinder walls and thus wears out your engine if it becomes a habit..
    ??? i never really understood it that much but i followed the tip. hehehe
    Last edited by ts1n1ta; April 1st, 2005 at 12:07 AM.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    dont let your car idle for 10 sec or more to save on some gas. Mas magastos pa pag naka idle ng matagal ang makina kesa sa pag start ng engine.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Supierreman is right, if its a turbo engine, you should let it idle for a minute to cool off the turbo bearings. If its a NA engine, save your gas and turn it off immidiately.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    it's bad to rev then suddenly shut the engine off. that leaves unburned fuel in the cylinders. nauso lang yung practice na to dati to facilitate starting carbureted engines, but in the era of EFI, this should no longer be done.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    tama ba na a car na naka-idle consumes more gasoline compared to just shutting the engine and restarting it? pano kung ung idle time is like less than 10minutes?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
turn-off engine: how soon?