• A car with more torque

14 82.35%
  • A car with more horsepower

3 17.65%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I'd choose BOTH.

The Toyota Corolla XRS, is, by all accounts, merely as fast as my Lynx RS, because of low torque and a stratospheric hp peak. But anyone with a diesel can tell you that huge torque doesn't mean jack on the highway.

But if I had to choose SLIGHTLY more HP or torque, I'd choose torque

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by niky
    I'd choose BOTH.

But anyone with a diesel can tell you that huge torque doesn't mean jack on the highway.
    hehe true talk about hail-mary overtaking

3. Join Date
    Mar 2005

4. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    It depends on the kind of driving you're doing. if you're doing daily driving, a balance of both is good.

If you're towing a sh!tload of stuff all the time, i.e. boat, trailers or pro Sumo wrestlers, you're gonna wanna have some torque.

Shaq was right 200lbs of tq ain't much if it's not consistent and if theres a substantial drop accross the powerband.

I just upgraded my cams and the calibration on the ECU which should bring me up to around 250HP/165lbs tq. The rev limit was also raised to 9500 RPMs. Based on manufacturer's testings the tq is pretty consistent between the low 2000-9000RPM range, give or take 5-10 lbs. I still wanna see my own dyno though then I'll be convinced. ...and lemme tell you, 9000RPM has got to be the ***iest thing you'll ever hear a four banger do but you wouldn't wanna take it that far all the time. Masyadong mahal ang makina. ha ha!

5. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Turbos usually have high power and torque, but turbo lag means that you cannot accelerate well in high gears at low speed. So how is torque useful in cars like the Evo and STi?

6. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    the torque generates loads of grins when attacking twisty roads using either the evo or sti. ;)

7. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by squala
    Turbos usually have high power and torque, but turbo lag means that you cannot accelerate well in high gears at low speed. So how is torque useful in cars like the Evo and STi?
    Yeah this is true. Most boosted applications on 4 bangers kick in at around 3500RPM. So yeah if you are trying to build boost from 30kmh and you are in 3rd gear, it won't work but you are in the wrong gear to begin with so I'd say DOWN SHIFT!!!

Most modern day boost applications esp the ones on WRX and the EVOs have minimal to almost no lag or at least can be tuned to minimize it.

But for me, I'd rather hear a motor screaming at 9000RPM than hearing a Blow-off valve go off at 3500RPM. just my .02

BTW, I think both cars are ugly but they are plenty fast!

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by squala
    you downshift.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Torque or Horsepower