New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Is it true that the tensioner bearing and/or idler bearing causes noise in the engine? When I open the hood, I hear the noise coming from the right part of my engine. Feeling ko nasa ilalim yung ingay so probably it's the tensioner bearing. AFAIK, idler bearing's noise will come from the top. If it needs to be replaced, how much will it cost? (Civic Vti 96) Including the labor. What do I need to know regarding this so-called bearings. Appreciate the input guys. TIA. Btw, the noise comes in when I step on the gas pedal.

OT: What are theses bearings anyway?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Tensioner or idle bearings gives us the ability to adjust the tension of the aircon belts. It also keeps it align with the drive pulley and the aircon compressor. The cheapest replacement is a 70 php bearing replacement to a much more expensive assembly (with mounts) that would run from 2,500 to 5,000php. YOu can localize it by taking the aircon belt off and start the engine see if the noise still exist.
    Last edited by afrasay; February 9th, 2008 at 12:25 PM.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by afrasay View Post
    Tensioner or idle bearings gives us the ability to adjust the tension of the aircon belts. It also keeps it align with the drive pulley and the aircon compressor. The cheapest placement is a 70 php bearing replacement to a much more expensive assembly (with mounts) that would run from 2,500 to 5,000php. YOu can localize it by taking the aircon belt and see if the noise still exist.

The A/C is not even on when I hear the noise. So does that mean it's not the tensioner bearing that I need to replace?

4. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    saken naman pag cold start lang sa umaga pero pinababa ko na rin ung idle ko ganun talaga pag umaga... mine is a honda esi

5. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    any busted bearing may cause some sort of unusual sound. if you say it is not from the A/C side and probably not from the tensioner bearing of the AC belt, then look for other bearings in the car. timing belts also have tensioner bearing. water pumps also have bearings and may produce some sound when busted. check these first then if all of these are in good condition, it probabyl is not from a bearing.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fourtheboys96 View Post
    any busted bearing may cause some sort of unusual sound. if you say it is not from the A/C side and probably not from the tensioner bearing of the AC belt, then look for other bearings in the car. timing belts also have tensioner bearing. water pumps also have bearings and may produce some sound when busted. check these first then if all of these are in good condition, it probabyl is not from a bearing.
    Wohkay. Tnx a lot

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by JCBalunsat View Post
    The A/C is not even on when I hear the noise. So does that mean it's not the tensioner bearing that I need to replace?
    The idle bearing rotates whether your aircon is on or not as long as the engine is running. Best is to have a mechanic with an stehtoscope (tama ba spelling?) to check it.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by afrasay View Post
    The idle bearing rotates whether your aircon is on or not as long as the engine is running. Best is to have a mechanic with an stehtoscope (tama ba spelling?) to check it.
    Tama, yung A/C clutch ang nag-eengage pag on mo ng A/C.

I used to DIY A/C idler bearing replacement. Tanggal lang ng P/S and A/C belts.

Then tanggalin mo yung center nut nung idler pulley. Nasa gitna yung bearing. Dalhin mo sa auto o motorcycle supply shops. Ordinary bearing lang naman yan. Around P100 yung NSK, Koyo, etc. brands.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    remove the belts one by one and see which one causes the noise to stop.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    talking of bearings, there's a noise in my revo pag nagde-decelarate o nag me-menor ako. parang kuliglig at sipol sound. wala namang sound kung nagaccelerate or kung stationary ang sasakyan. saan kaya galing ang ingay na iyun? i had heard of the sounds of defective idler bearing & water pump bearing before pero ang mga iyun maririnig mo kahit stationary ang sasakyan. ano kayang bearing ang possibleng may diperensya na maririnig mo lang kung tumatakbo ang sasakyan pag bitaw sa silinyador (menor)?...any guess from the experts?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Tensioner and Idler bearing inquiry.