New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I/H/E generally won't hurt gas consumption unless it's poorly done. Poor gas consumption MAY result from IHE mods in the following cases:

1. MAF malfunction due to aftermarket filter: if the aftermarket filter doesn't filter well enough, or if you over-oil your K&N when using the recharge kit, you can damage the Mass Airflow Sensor, which will cause poor running.

2. Improperly fitted exhaust components: Poor joints and gaskets cause exhaust leaks, causing increased fuel consumption.

3. Improperly tuned exhaust components: Too large an exhaust will destroy low rpm driveability and fuel economy. While you generally want your exhaust to flow as freely as possible, if you make the tubes too large, this causes poor flow and turbulence at low exhaust velocities.

From experience, most Simota filters don't provide much more power than stock. Maybe 1-2 hp if you're lucky... and less than none if you're not. Hardly worth the money. An original K&N filter will give you 3 hp or so on a stock car. It doesn't sound like much, but it helps sharpen throttle response, and will provide even more power when combined with a good exhaust system.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    yung "kit" ramdam mo agad improvement kahit stock pa exhuast and headers mo. plus mas maganda tunog pag naka racing filter kit kaw. hehe.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    lifetime ba talaga ang knn (given na you clean it properly)? kasi ang simota disposable naman din daw according to some fellow tsikoteers

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    They're supposedly life-time, but if they get crumpled or squashed, or some idiot pokes a hole in one with a screwdriver, you'll still need to replace them.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    what are breathers for? are they standard stuff for aftermarket air filters?

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Crankcase breathers. So you don't have to deal with crankcase recirculation into your intake tube. They're common with old Simota kits because the universal tubes they had didn't have bungs for the PCV hoses.

I haven't experienced any problems with them in the past, but it's always best if your kit has a PCV line attachment.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Crankcase breathers. So you don't have to deal with crankcase recirculation into your intake tube. They're common with old Simota kits because the universal tubes they had didn't have bungs for the PCV hoses.

I haven't experienced any problems with them in the past, but it's always best if your kit has a PCV line attachment.
    ano po ang pcv?

correct me if i'm wrong bos, but i'm getting the impression from your post above that the newer models of simota and knn (and other brands for that matter) do not require or need breathers anymore, sir?

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    PCV = positive crankcase ventilation. Air is recirculated from the valve cover to the intake hose to prevent buildup of hydrocarbon residue (which causes sludge) inside the engine.

It's not the type of filter that dictates whether you need to place a breather on the PCV valve. It's the tube. If you replace your stock intake tube with an aftermarket one that has no bung for the PCV hose, then you need a breather. You can't just seal up the PCV connection on the valve cover (or wherever it is, on your engine) as this is bad for your engine.

Of course, it's also bad to have a breather, as this vents unburned hydrocarbons into the atmosphere... causing more pollution. Thus, most modern intake pipes have bungs for these hoses.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pdc2 View Post
    guys,

what do you think? what are the pros and cons of changing to performance filters? is it true na you have to change oil more often when using performance filters dahil mas madali daw makapasok yun dirty air?

I'm planning kse to install simota on my ride. thx!
    Hey bro don't use simota, a bit of a tuner myself and based on facts simota filter has low filtrating capabilities unlike Kn'N or Apexi filter etc. that would lead to dust going thru ur throttle chamber. You will also notice that Kn'N filters are "oiled" na (thats y it's redish in color), that oil helps trap dirt and dust from entering thru it.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    ang maganda sa k&n na nabili ko meron syang parang SpiralMax sa loob ng filter para maganda pasok ng hangin unlike sa dati kong simota cone filter na walang laman. K&N parin

Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
stock air filter vs. simota or K&N