New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Can someone explain this?

What happens if you put regular differential oil? If you do, what happens to the LSD? if it gets damaged from using the wrong lubricant, can it still be fixed?

Ungas, Otep, et al, baka masagot niyo ako...thanks!!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Most LSD's use friction plates/clutch packs (although some use cones) to limit the speed difference between left and right halfshaft (thus the name, LSD).

If the cluctch packs get worn, your most practical solution would be to swap in a new LSD (kahit surplus, most LSDs don't get used to their full potential naman).

Pero I'm not rally sure why you need to use the LSD-specific lubricant. I have always been made to believe that it was for wear prevention.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

3. Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Quote Originally Posted by gulliver
    Can someone explain this?

What happens if you put regular differential oil? If you do, what happens to the LSD? if it gets damaged from using the wrong lubricant, can it still be fixed?

Ungas, Otep, et al, baka masagot niyo ako...thanks!!
    The special lubricant is to maintain the consistency of the clutch packs, use of non lsd lubricants can result in breakage of the clutch packs and may occasionally lock the packs resulting in highly irregular handling of the vehicle and tire wear. yes it will ruin the clutch pack eventually as for your vehicle they are quite costly, your "friend" "back there" knows howw much the lsd costs from the dealer 2nd hand units are very scarce if available so take care of it. the most readily available lube for it is at petron, the gear oil in the white container is rated for lsd, some service men in the stations know this but you can read it at theback of the container (big white plastic 5 gallon) its what i use on my 'Lone wolf"s rear diff.

4. Join Date
    Jan 1970
    OTEP / wolfpack

thanks guys! yes, i can believe it's expensive, and luckily my truck was still under warranty. there's a crazy, crazy story behind it but the important thing is, my lsd is working properly now. whew!

wolfpack

re the oil, what do you think are the special properties of LSD oil that make it different from regular differential oil? i understand its for the clutch pack (in my ranger), but am not sure how the oil works on it. just wondering lang naman.

as for the other item cowboy, sabihin na lang natin my cyberworld is much more enjoyable now, and ignorance for a ordinary motorist like me can often be bliss :wink: gusto ko lang light, friendly advice hehehe...

SALAMAT ULI!

5. Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Im not a chemical engineer so i really dont know, but suffice to know for me that i have the practical side of the knowledge qoutient hehehehe..... In short i know what its for and ill leave the rest to the know it all types :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: the important thing to me is when im behind the wheel, im in nirvana..............

6. Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfpack
    In short i know what its for and ill leave the rest to the know it all types :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: the important thing to me is when im behind the wheel, im in nirvana..............

i'm with you on that wolfpack!

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfpack
    your "friend" "back there"
    :twisted: :twisted:

Special Oil for LSDs, why?