New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    During my PM, i would normally replace the spark plugs. During my last PM after only less than 3000 km run, the spark plugs are all burned as in black with brown in the tip (parang corrosion) my mechanic changed it with a slightly used but it's still sparkling clean. Now after about 2000 kms run, all are burned again with even one of the plugs, loosing the electrode tip ba yun (not the bent portion). Now i replaced it with a brand new Bosch Super 4.
    I knew it's not normal caus emy other cars would even last 20K km before i would cahnge spark plugs. Car is CRV 2000 model.

Question is, what would have caused my unusual burning of spark plug?
    TIA

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Try checking and comparing the pictures and diagnosis of the sparkplugs at this website:

http://www.autohausaz.com/html/spark...lug-wires.html

3. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    thanks ghost. very informative that i even bookmarked the site. however, yung problem ng spark plug #3 ko isn't in the pics kc nawala totally yung center electrode when i pulled it out. the other 3 are normal as per pic 1 & 2.
    where would you categorize kay yung #3, under melting or cracking as in pic 13 & 14 or it's a totally different story? thanks again.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I might be tempted to say it might be #13 or even #17 from your initial description.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    This link may be of help to you. http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/710848

6. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    are you using the correct type of sparkplugs?

although pwede yung bkr5e and bkr6 (ngk) sa b20z engine ng crv mo, the correct type is prefixed ZFRxxx. may subtle differences sila. i tried bkr5 sa crv ko nun medyo malakas yung amoy gas from the tailpipe when idling. lumakas din sa gas ng konti.

switched back to casa spec zfr ngks ok na ulit.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    thanks volts, observe ko muna yung super 4 ng bosch na kinabit ko since bago pa naman. check ko condition after 1000km. if it's still bad, i'll try the ngk type u've mention.

ghost, sana nga 17 since it was a used set of spark plugs then and beside kung 13, dapat lahat ng spark plugs would have been affected not specific on #3 only. let's see how it goes since ang recommendation sa 17 is change spark plugs. do u think i need to go back to unleaded since i've changed fuel to xcs?

i'll observe lang muna & see how it goes.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    update ko lang for the closure. checked my spark plugs yesterday, all is well naman after 1K+ km run. normal carbon on the tips kaya cleaned it with kerosene & brush. so far gas consumption is relatively normal as well.

i'll just do frequent cleaning and see how long this sets of spark plug would last.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    hi mga sir. just wanted to ask assistance if my spark plugs are still good to use.. i checked the website for reference and i believe that engine good in regards sa sparkplug. but i also want to know if my plugs are still good for the next 15k run..

10. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    I replace my spark plugs regularly when I change oil at 5,000 km.

Just regular Denso or NGK spark plugs as per the car owner's manual. Cost for new plugs are not so expensive and if changed regularly can be recovered in terms of proper engine performance and mileage for the vehicle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Spark plug burning