New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Driving everyday in Metro Manila (unless it's during the wee hours of the morning) constitutes a severe driving condition: Dusty/polluted environment, excessive idling, stop-and-go traffic, elevated temperature, etc.
    Sa sobrang severe nyan pati driver kelangan ng PMS (Pa MaSagge)

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by papi smith View Post
    Sa sobrang severe nyan pati driver kelangan ng PMS (Pa MaSagge)
    I've been wondering when will car manufacturers include car seat massages as standard equipment. I guess the danger is if the driver gets tooo comfortable.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    I guess winter driving counts. I spent 6 winters in New York which lasted 6 months of the year. I had to start up our cars and leave them running for 10-15 minutes until the engine warmed up and the heater had warm air flowing. That had to be done first before going to work and then again before going home.

Usually, I started up the car and left it idling while I went back inside the house and had breakfast.

At -40F/-40C and colder? Forget it. The ignition won't even turn.
    With a good multi-grade synth, like a 0w40, you don't have to warm up the engine per se for that long... and idling in place won't warm up the transmission and differentials that much (if at all). Block heaters do a better job.

But I won't argue with how cold the cabin can get...

Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    your car does not have an hour meter like a standby generator
    If only they did!

Oil changes, IMHO, should be preferentially based on operating hours rather than kilometers.

Heavy duty US trucks have engine hour readouts. Ambulances, for one, since they are often left idling for long periods of time on standby... ready to move at a moment's notice.

Of local trucks, I recall only the Chevy Trailblazer and Colorado having this as one of the available readouts. Pretty useful, actually, to see how much time the engine is on, regardless of the odometer reading.

I also recall old (really old) Corvettes had a rev counter that counted how many revolutions total your engine performed over its lifespan.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I guess winter driving counts. I spent 6 winters in New York which lasted 6 months of the year. I had to start up our cars and leave them running for 10-15 minutes until the engine warmed up and the heater had warm air flowing. That had to be done first before going to work and then again before going home.

Usually, I started up the car and left it idling while I went back inside the house and had breakfast.

At -40F/-40C and colder? Forget it. The ignition won't even turn.
    Amen to that, bro! Spent one winter season in Upstate NY (Albany County) and two winter seasons in the midwest (Chicago west suburbs). I did not have covered parking in both locations. I fared better in the midwest as my truck was able to go around in some light snow and I was more equipped to deal with the weather. Upstate NY winter is much worse compared to the midwest - its longer, the amount of snow is just horrendous, not to mention the much colder weather. It was a good thing we used Avis rentals in Upstate NY as I did not have much idea about cars back then.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    And your car does not have an hour meter like a standby generator
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Oil changes, IMHO, should be preferentially based on operating hours rather than kilometers.

Heavy duty US trucks have engine hour readouts. Ambulances, for one, since they are often left idling for long periods of time on standby... ready to move at a moment's notice.

Of local trucks, I recall only the Chevy Trailblazer and Colorado having this as one of the available readouts. Pretty useful, actually, to see how much time the engine is on, regardless of the odometer reading.

I also recall old (really old) Corvettes had a rev counter that counted how many revolutions total your engine performed over its lifespan.
    I was expecting that 'engine hours' is easily accesible from the OBD interface but apparently, not. Based on the OBD II PIDs, this should be at 7F (Engine run time). Mitsubishi ECU (Montero) is not storing this information. The closest information available is 1F (Run time since engine start) but this requires recording every trip you have, which I don't want to do. More info here ---> OBD-II PIDs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On the context of engine hours, extended idling and heavy traffic is considered severe operating condition. The car's engine is being used without being registered on the odometer. If your usual commute takes you 45 mins on a slow moving traffic and just 15 mins on light traffic, on the same route, that means you are using your car 3 times longer. Therefore, the usual 5k-10k oil change interval is no longer applicable. Based on our example, a 5k reading on odometer would actually be 15k on light traffic.

I plan to follow a 10k interval oil change schedule, but since it's my first time to do it and my usual commute is EDSA on rush hour, I think I'll have an oil analysis once I reach 8k. Using Mobil 1 TDT and BD28, btw.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    Amen to that, bro! Spent one winter season in Upstate NY (Albany County) and two winter seasons in the midwest (Chicago west suburbs). I did not have covered parking in both locations. I fared better in the midwest as my truck was able to go around in some light snow and I was more equipped to deal with the weather. Upstate NY winter is much worse compared to the midwest - its longer, the amount of snow is just horrendous, not to mention the much colder weather. It was a good thing we used Avis rentals in Upstate NY as I did not have much idea about cars back then.
    Not just Upstate New York. We lived at the the eastern shore of Lake Ontario which is prone to lake-effect snow. It's not unusual to have a few hours of snow reach my waist. If there is snow, it's not too cold (30-20 deg F). It's the clear skies following the storm that are the coldest, usually below 0 deg F.

It's funny because when the temperature goes below -40 deg F, I can't start the car. But, once the sun comes up and warms the hood a bit, the car will start.

I lived at Rantoul, IL and Oklahoma City for a while. The snow isn't too bad. But, both areas are prone to freezing rain. If there's anything on the road I'm most scared of, it's freezing rain.

Chicago also gets lake-effect snow because of Lake Michigan. But, the wind direction would have to come from due north.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; August 23rd, 2016 at 07:26 AM.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    I have both the ScanGauge II and Ultragauge and I know that at least one of them can measure Engine Time (E/T). It doesn't have to be a parameter in the OBDII, instead, these gauges just accumulate the total time if it detects the engine is running.

It's such a pity neither is supported on the non-standard OBDII 2015 Innova 2.5. Then again, the Innova G does have E/T included in the multi-information display. I just haven't thought of using it, until now. I wonder how high the readout (hours) can go.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Not just Upstate New York. We lived at the the eastern shore of Lake Ontario which is prone to lake-effect snow. It's not unusual to have a few hours of snow reach my waist. If there is snow, it's not too cold (30-20 deg F). It's the clear skies following the storm that are the coldest, usually below 0 deg F.

It's funny because when the temperature goes below -40 deg F, I can't start the car. But, once the sun comes up and warms the hood a bit, the car will start.

I lived at Rantoul, IL and Oklahoma City for a while. The snow isn't too bad. But, both areas are prone to freezing rain. If there's anything on the road I'm most scared of, it's freezing rain.

Chicago also gets lake-effect snow because of Lake Michigan. But, the wind direction would have to come from due north.
    Yep, during winter in Upstate NY, the coming of snow means warmer days. It's when the snow stops and all that's left is the blistering cold breeze that really sucks! I never encountered -40F weather out there but I am not going to speculate as -30F is just not something most humans can bear.

I lived in Downers Grove, west of Chicago. The snow is not that bad. True, it's the black ice and the dry snow that wrecks havoc to commuters. There were a few times I ran into some crazy slides and it's not a joke with a big truck like the Expedition.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123