New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan023 View Post
    Why are "engine idling for a long period" or "short-distance travel" considered as Severe Operating Conditions? All others related to "more stress". I don't see how these 2 can cause more stress to the engine? thanks
    I wont go all tech on you like them, mas alam nila yan. But cars are built to move and not stop and go all day everyday for 2-4 hrs or more. Its the same as abuse/misuse ng kotse.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    For one thing, idling dumps more unburned fuel into the oil passing through the rings. This dilutes the oil, changing its viscosity and use up the additive package. That's why excessive idling requires you to change oil more often.

Another is emissions. The catalytic converter needs to be glowing hot before it can do its work. Idling means the cat may not reach operating temp and your car ends up spewing more toxins that it does when it's running on the highway.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2016
    In my case, every 5am, I drive to the bus stop 2 kms from our house and stop the engine for 5-10 mins then go back home. Then 2.5 hours later I go to work 8 kms away and back home at pm. 4 cold starts a day, 5 days a week. Eto na ata ang severest to the maximum effect of severity condition.

Question lang, would it be better if I don't turn off the engine when I drive to the bus stop in the morning?

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by papi smith View Post
    In my case, every 5am, I drive to the bus stop 2 kms from our house and stop the engine for 5-10 mins then go back home. Then 2.5 hours later I go to work 8 kms away and back home at pm. 4 cold starts a day, 5 days a week. Eto na ata ang severest to the maximum effect of severity condition.

Question lang, would it be better if I don't turn off the engine when I drive to the bus stop in the morning?
    If you are idling any longer than half a minute more or less, shut off.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    If you are idling any longer than half a minute more or less, shut off.
    That's a bit OA, IMO. Maybe if your vehicle is designed for it (Start-Stop). Otherwise, 30 seconds (+/- a few) is too short. Maybe 3-5 minutes, and only if your vehicle is parked.

You don't want to do it while in bumper-to-bumper traffic or else, you'll be shutting down and starting the engine 20-30 times per trip.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    And drastically shorten the starter motor and battery service life
    Last edited by jick.cejoco; August 22nd, 2016 at 12:10 PM.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    That's a bit OA, IMO. Maybe if your vehicle is designed for it (Start-Stop). Otherwise, 30 seconds (+/- a few) is too short. Maybe 3-5 minutes, and only if your vehicle is parked.

You don't want to do it while in bumper-to-bumper traffic or else, you'll be shutting down and starting the engine 20-30 times per trip.
    Just to clarify, this is consideration or in context to the question posted where he is idling and sure to be stationary for several minutes at the bus stop. Not when one is in transit (stop-and-go traffic) or unsure on how long he can stop the vehicle for a short period.
    Last edited by vinj; August 22nd, 2016 at 12:25 PM.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    My car is on severe operating conditions then since I rarely travel beyond 10 kms. I have daily less than 500 metre trips. It's no wonder I changed my battery only after 2 years

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I guess winter driving counts. I spent 6 winters in New York which lasted 6 months of the year. I had to start up our cars and leave them running for 10-15 minutes until the engine warmed up and the heater had warm air flowing. That had to be done first before going to work and then again before going home.

Usually, I started up the car and left it idling while I went back inside the house and had breakfast.

At -40F/-40C and colder? Forget it. The ignition won't even turn.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; August 22nd, 2016 at 02:40 PM.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Driving everyday in Metro Manila (unless it's during the wee hours of the morning) constitutes a severe driving condition: Dusty/polluted environment, excessive idling, stop-and-go traffic, elevated temperature, etc.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast