New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2011
    I am planning to replace my car's spark plugs my self for the first time so I watched a couple of youtube videos.
    Unfortunately, these video tutorials made me more confused.
    They are talking about a spark plug gap thingy and correct torque or tightness. I can't even find a store to buy that gap gauge.
    Are they really important or can I just buy a plug that is designed for my vehicle and just plug it in?

Any advice? Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    feeler gauge is necessary if you want to check the gap. if you do get the correct plugs.. its unnecessary. which car/year? which plugs did you get?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tsikot Forums mobile app

3. Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Hyundai accent 2012. Don't have the plugs yet. Can I ask the store to correct the gap for me?

4. Join Date
    May 2011
    Some spark plugs have protective sleeves to prevent accidental regapping when the plugs fall during handling from the manufacturer all the way up to the parts counter and beyond. Sometimes you need to regap for specific applications. To check the gap.use a wire feeler gauge. Use the correct :
    Reach
    Heat range
    Seat type
    And resistor type

5. Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Plugs are pre gapped. Usually if you buy the OEM plug there is no need to adjust the gap. You just need to install them. What is the suggested gap per owner's manual? What is the OEM plug?

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Tsikot Forums mobile app

6. Join Date
    Sep 2011
    I bought a pre gapped plug. New problem, the old plugs are too tight they are hard to remove.

Any suggestion how I can replace those pesky plugs? I

7. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    ^

Which way are you turning?

Loosen = counter clockwise
    Tighten = clockwise

Pre-gapped or not, it is usually good practice to check and "re-gap" the new plugs yourself.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2011
    I bought a oem one specific to my car model to be sure.

I turned it counter clockwise. I already managed to pull one plug but the other plugs giving me a hard time.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by danomar View Post
    I bought a oem one specific to my car model to be sure.

I turned it counter clockwise. I already managed to pull one plug but the other plugs giving me a hard time.
    Try spraying wd40 on the spark plug and let it soak for a few minutes... make sure you are using the heavy duty spark plug tool.. not the one with joints

10. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    ^

While WD40 is okay on freeing seized or rusted up threads, too much of it will contaminate your sparkplug threads. Thus leading you to over tightening the new plugs (because madulas eh from all that WD40 leftover).

Try to use it sparingly, (the little red pipe is there for that).

You can use a short extension (iron pipe, etc. what's available) to give you more leverage.

Or, take it to a mechanic, and observe what he does. Para second time around, you know what to do.

Goodluck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast