New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Hi guys! I recently bought a 2nd hand Toyota Revo 1.8 gas with automatic transmission for a very cheap price, after a few weeks of driving it I realized that the vehicle is not that fuel efficient however I love the ride as the suspension, under chassis and everything still feels new. I was thinking has anyone here tried replacing the engine of a Revo from gasoline to diesel, I tried looking for diesel engines at sulit but cant find any. Is there any shop that sells diesel engines for a Revo and if there is how much usually is the price? also if replacing the engine is possible will there be someone who will buy my gasoline engine even for a very cheap price or just swap my gasoline engine then I will add cash for a diesel engine?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Not worth the hassle and money. Not quite sure about the cost of the engine, but the swap would likely cost you some 60-80k pesos. And that's before fixing the registration of the vehicle. Might as well trade it for a diesel variant for the same amount of money, less hassle and better reliability.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Another option is to go LPG or buy a diesel variant. The engine swap won't be too feasible IMO.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Thanks guys, yes you are right... I didn't thought about the registration which is a hassle too. Probably I will just sell the unit then save up for a diesel one...

5. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Battousai1 View Post
    Thanks guys, yes you are right... I didn't thought about the registration which is a hassle too. Probably I will just sell the unit then save up for a diesel one...
    There's a reason why you got it cheap. Gasoline-fed AUV and SUV tend to sip more fuel.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Ganyan din balak namin, kaya lang naisip namin yung gagastusin mo pang convert sa gas to diesel eh .,super mahal na and wala ka pang kasiguraduhan kung magiging ok ang pag kakagawa , kaya ibenta mo nalang yung revo mo na gas, tapos bumili ka ng diesel variant, kasi yung pera na ipang papa-convert mo sa diesel eh, ipang dagdag mo nalang sa pambili mo ng bagong revo . ;)

7. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    maybe you have seen the old fx taxis running with diesel engines. ang orig makina nyan, 7k. all you need is a surplus diesel engine and carrier ng differential. you have a lot of choices for surplus engine. you can buy toyota 2c or mitsu 4d56. if youre on tight budget, hyundai d4bx is a good choice. by the way, mitsu 4d56 and hyundai d4bx is almost the same. madali lang ang conversion nyan, hanap ka lang ng shop na hindi taga ang presyo. it could be done in 2 days.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    What's the point? Why swap a perfectly fine, working engine for a secondhand diesel of dubious quality from a wrecker?

The conversion, at the very least, will cost some 60-70k pesos. Lucky if he can get a Revo engine... if he has to get an FX diesel motor (which, let's face it, is old and underpowered, a poor match for the Revo body), then the price won't go down that much (if at all), because some adaptation and machine-shop work will be needed to get it to mount properly. And then you have to switch gauges, because the tachometer for the gasoline engine won't work with the diesel.

-

Then you have to change registration, which, from experience, is a freaking hassle with all the paperwork you have to fill out.

And in the end, your 250-300k Revo ain't worth ****, because swapped cars are very hard to sell. So not only are you out 60-70k in swapping costs, you're also out another 50-100k in lost resale value.

-

Or... he could just sell the gasoline Revo, add some 40-50k pesos, and buy a diesel Revo, instead. If he's lucky, he can get a diesel Revo for almost as little money as he sells the gasoline one, for. Much better deal.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Or... he could just sell the gasoline Revo, add some 40-50k pesos, and buy a diesel Revo, instead. If he's lucky, he can get a diesel Revo for almost as little money as he sells the gasoline one, for. Much better deal.

this makes sense. it simply cost-benefit analysis. we always go something that offers a lower price without compromising quality. i have seen a lot gas-fed engines converted to diesel ones. it works fine and serve its purpose, fuel efficiency. yup, there are extra work such as entry in the registration.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2011
    eh kung 2.5 d4d engine ba , pwede sa revo ? tanong lang
    Last edited by jrn29; May 22nd, 2013 at 05:33 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast