New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Hi po mga tsikooters,

I'm planning to block the EGR of my bighorn (4JG2 Engine) any inputs (positive and negative) kung anu po magiging epekto nito after ko magawa.

TIA

more power.. pero may nagsasabing lesser daw usok...mayroon namang ngiging mausok.... pero most nagsasabi more power.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    so far sa mga gumawa niyan dito more power...........kasi hindi uso dito yung truck na ma usok kahit medyo matanda na..........

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    the best benefit would be lesser carbon deposits and better oil lifespan. power gain and smoke reduction is barely noticable.

cons will be an increase of Nox. I have no idea if emmision test detects this...
    Last edited by rion; December 18th, 2008 at 04:40 PM.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by rion View Post
    cons will be an increase of Nox. I have no idea if emmision test detects this...

Depends on the test apparatus. But local emissions testing do not test for NOx.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    ah I see. ano po ba yung basis sa local test natin?

7. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Ah I see.. So there would no overheating problem after blocking the EGR?
    The only cons is more nox will come out from the exhaust?

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    It depends on the car's tuning. Without EGR, the temps at low-load cruising might increase as the engine "leans out". Some engines can take this, as stock tuning is very rich (hence the smoke... too much fuel entering the combustion chambers), but if your car is properly tuned, it will run hotter.

And no, we don't test NOx. Local emissions centers test hydrocarbon emissions HCO and particulate emissions, both of which will be decreased by blocking off the EGR.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    May 2007
    The car will still run with a disconnected EGR but it might have detrimental effects on your exhaust emmision and catalytic converter. However, most cars nowadays have their EGR valve directly connected to the engine idle control system through ecm, so you could possibly find disconnecting will alter idle speed or cause stalling.

The EGR stands for Exhaust Gas Recirculation. Its function is to reduce an exhaust emission that was not being cleaned by the other smog controls. Oxides of nitrogen (NOx) are formed when temperatures in the combustion chamber get too hot. At 2500 degrees Fahrenheit or hotter, the nitrogen and oxygen in the combustion chamber can chemically combine to form nitrous oxides, which, when combined with hydrocarbons (HCs) and the presence of sunlight, produces an ugly haze in our skies known commonly as smog. Wag kanang magkalat kawawa ang magiging anak mo pag nalanghap nila ito.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    we don't test NOx. Local emissions centers test hydrocarbon emissions HCO and particulate emissions, both of which will be decreased by blocking off the EGR.
    I see thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    It depends on the car's tuning. Without EGR, the temps at low-load cruising might increase as the engine "leans out". Some engines can take this, as stock tuning is very rich (hence the smoke... too much fuel entering the combustion chambers), but if your car is properly tuned, it will run hotter.
    ay, Oo nga. I forgot, hindi pala lahat sasakyan ay benefits. I had made a lot of research about this. nakalimutan ko lang.

in my personal experience, the clean steel plate we made as a blocking plate, in few weeks palang, it catched a lot of carbons. the engines didn't become cooler or hotter for that matter.

90's gen vehicles doesn't have EGR afaik. like fx,L300's,revo,hilux etc..
    Last edited by rion; December 19th, 2008 at 03:16 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Pro & Cons of EGR Blocking