New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    puwede ko kaya gamiting alternative yung API CF SAE40(delo silver monograde) kahit na dati kong gamit na oil ay API CF-4 15w40(rimula-x) mahal na kasi ng rimula-x ngayon?

2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    puwede ko kaya gamiting alternative yung API CF SAE40(delo silver monograde) kahit na dati kong gamit na oil ay API CF-4 15w40(rimula-x) mahal na kasi ng rimula-x ngayon?
    Pwede as long as your car only requires CF rated oil. But a multigrade CF-4 is better than a monograde CF oil. Downgrade yan. My advice is to use a multigrade oil. Kung mahal ang Rimula-X try mo sa Petron or Caltex. Meron din oils ang Total, Castrol etc...

3. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    When checking oils for specificity to gasoline or diesel engines look for the S or C. The API-Sx rating is like the spark (for sparkplugs) for gasoline engines, while the API-Cx rating is like the compression for diesel engines. Diesel engine oil has soot protection, gasoline engine oils do not. You won't get as much soot protection from the gasoline engine oil but if the weight is similar you should have no problems.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    I have a cousin who was in the motor oil manufacturing business. He claims that many times there are no physical differences between the diesel and gasoline engine oils.

It makes economical sense though - if you have an oil plant, why not just come up with one production line coming up with a product suitable for both diesel and gasoline engine? The only thing different would be the packaging and marketing.

The fact that an oil product was only tested and certified for gasoline or diesel use, doesnt mean it wont pass the test for the other.

In the same way, many of us here aren't certified to drive in certain countries, but that's because we havent taken their test, not because we won't pass.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I used to work as a lab analyst in a power plant in Navotas, I check the oils upon delivery, I know a little about engine oils but I'm no expert, Iba kasi additives ng engine oil for diesel engine kesa sa gasoline engines, mas mataas ang TBN ( total base number) ng oil for diesels para makontra yung acidity ng diesel, if you will use a purely gasoline engine oil prone sa corrosion ang internals ng engine mo

6. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by webmiester View Post
    I have a cousin who was in the motor oil manufacturing business. He claims that many times there are no physical differences between the diesel and gasoline engine oils.

It makes economical sense though - if you have an oil plant, why not just come up with one production line coming up with a product suitable for both diesel and gasoline engine? The only thing different would be the packaging and marketing.

The fact that an oil product was only tested and certified for gasoline or diesel use, doesnt mean it wont pass the test for the other.

In the same way, many of us here aren't certified to drive in certain countries, but that's because we havent taken their test, not because we won't pass.
    Well probably nothing that he can see. There is a reason why oils are diesel or gasoline rated.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
pouring gasoline engine oil into diesel engine