New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    UPDATE!

Ok so here's the short version.

Went to KIA Pasig and all they said was it was my transmission and charged me 75k for it. They didn't even check the engine. Forget that, so I went to my trusted mechanic and did the following.

Repairs:
    -Engine overhauled due to water seeping in cylinder 3.
    -Changed spark plugs and ignition wires
    -Changed Oil and oil filter
    -Changed gas pump and filter
    -changed the TPS
    -cleaned/flushed the radiator

Results:
    -Car got a bit of HP back while under heavy load, but still not even 70% of it.
    -Car runs now even better with ac off, lakas ng hatak.
    -Engine is whisper quiet
    -AC now colder

New symptoms:
    -Idles roughly and surges and stalls when engine is cold
    -Sometimes while running, I can feel the steering wheel and brakes become stiff as though its about to stall.
    -Wiper stops sometimes while on low.
    -Lights in instrument panel gets dim when I turn on the headlights (80/100w)
    -Exhaust smells somewhat like raw gas

Best guess:

I also brought the car to a battery store, they checked my charging rate and it's about 13.8-14volts when idle, and about 12.8v when under heavy load (AC, headlights and radio). Under powered alternator or bad battery? I don't have problems starting the car even after 2-3 days of not using it. But it sometimes stalls while running. especially when it surges right before I stop.

I feel that with the engine running great, it now shows problems with my electrical system. I feel that my alternator and battery might be on its way out. And with that it might not be supplying enough current to the computer box, making it go crazy causing the surging and stalling. Would that make any sense?

Question:
    -Would changing the alternator (upgrading it to 90amp from 60amp) and battery be a good next step?
    -Anything I should look out for should I have my alternator changed?
    -Any recommended shops where to get one and to have it installed?

2. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Things I did recently:
    - replaced fuel pump (again) since the refurbished one didn't have much pull anymore.
    - changed the battery (once and for all). 2009 pa pala yung naka kabit and it wasn't holding much charge and was having problems starting.
    - cleaned TPS, IAC and MAF.
    - Found cracked rubber intake fittings that leak air, had bypassed the air filter temporarily.

Anyone know where I can get one of these?

Results:
    Good news

- Acceleration is back, even with heavy load (AC, Lights and Passengers)
    - no more hesitation, throttle responds nicely
    - Uphill/Hi way driving now is a breeze

Bad news
    - Idle is still pretty bad with no AC, surges from 750-900 rapidly (IAC or MAF at fault?) When I unplug TPS the idle normalizes. I've tried 2 different TPS sensors, both have same results.
    - Still stalling, though now its very minimal and only right after a cold start.

Thoughts:
    I've read somewhere that I may still need to have my TPS recalibrated, and also get a much delayed tune up before thinking about getting any more parts checked and/or replaced.

Input is very much welcome.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2011
    hi bro cramp, just want to ask, where do you buy parts for your sportage? I have one, model 96, and it's quite hard to find parts here in Bulacan.

New symptoms:
    -Idles roughly and surges and stalls when engine is cold

Check mo yung ECT, nasa thermostat housing, baka patid na yung wires or sira na yung sensor.
    and recommended na ihinang directly yung wires sa terminals ng TPS, MAF, and IACV, sa TPS ko pa lang ginawa, umayos yung idle ko.

-Lights in instrument panel gets dim when I turn on the headlights (80/100w)

Check your dimmer, in my 96, nasa left side, katabi ng switch/button for fog light, baka malapit na bumigay.

I've read somewhere and ginawa ko na din, after cleaning MAF and IACV, reset ko yung ECU by disconnecting the negative terminal from the battery for about 10mins. tapos before mag-redondo, press mo ung gas ng 3x sagad, and then start mo yung engine, tapos let it idle for 5-10mins. ang reason daw nito ay mag recalibrate yung ECU, magiiba na daw kasi yung values ng sensors after cleaning.

sana makatulong

4. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    hope this helps. try to spray electronic contact cleaner sa mga sensors. you can use a cheaper carb cleaner but be sure na may nakatatak na sensor safe. baka kulang lang ng kontak. then tune up mo na rin, check the ignition timing.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123