New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    anyone encountered this problem?
    Your car is running smoothly when you noticed your fuel gauge is almost empty but no warning light yet.
    After gas up at shell or petron (unleaded only), out of tune na, palyado! and you have no choice but to
    drive it until you need gas again. Anyone have countermeasure for this?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by eLai View Post
    anyone encountered this problem?
    Your car is running smoothly when you noticed your fuel gauge is almost empty but no warning light yet.
    After gas up at shell or petron (unleaded only), out of tune na, palyado! and you have no choice but to
    drive it until you need gas again. Anyone have countermeasure for this?
    Maybe the gas was contaminated with water.

Also check your fuel filter if it's clogged.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Yes I think the fuel is contaminated with water.
    Fuel filter is relatively new, just changed it last May.
    Difficult to drive, kundi lang mahal gas, i'd dump it eh.
    I guess i will have to bear with it another 80km

4. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    kaya it's advisable to gas up sa isang gas station lang and same pump kung possible..

5. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    I did that before, I gas up only at petron daang hari, for several months i did that.
    then this thing happened. So i decided to gas up different brands, then again,
    eto nanaman problema ko. di naman makuha sa tune up, kasi yung fuel nga ang problem.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    had the same thing at Petron SBMA, yung malapit sa duty free. filled up with 43 liters of diesel on the last pump on tuesday ok naman siya, then filled up again 22 liters wednesday from a different pump. before i could even reach the intersection going to tipo expressway (not even 1 km away) ayun palyado na ayaw na humatak, had to rev up to 3000 rpm to get to 100 kph at ang bagal ng acceleration e dati 2000 rpm lang to 100 kph. had to stop the engine, started it again, revved it up to 4000+ rpm in neutral for some time to get rid of the water in the filter, then medyo ok na. saka lang bumalik sa dati nung nasa 3/4 na yung reading ng tank. maybe the pump i filled up last time was connected to a different tank or they took delivery that day of contaminated fuel.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by eLai View Post
    Yes I think the fuel is contaminated with water.
    Fuel filter is relatively new, just changed it last May.
    Difficult to drive, kundi lang mahal gas, i'd dump it eh.
    I guess i will have to bear with it another 80km
    the contaminated petrol is easily cured by adding denatured alcohol. the alcohol and water are miscible, the alcohol and gasoline are miscible, if you mix all three, the water will be absorbed by the gasohol and burns completely in the combustion chambers

8. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    May we know what brand of gasoline you had taken? I had experienced this before with my old car. I fill-up 93 ron without knowing that 95 ron is the required for my car.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    the contaminated petrol is easily cured by adding denatured alcohol. the alcohol and water are miscible, the alcohol and gasoline are miscible, if you mix all three, the water will be absorbed by the gasohol and burns completely in the combustion chambers
    Sir Jick,

What safe mixture/ratio can we make in adding the denatured alcohol? Are there any possible effects on the EFI, engine/performance? This will really be of great help if it works, specially this rainy season.

Thanks Chief!

10. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jvnj View Post
    Sir Jick,

What safe mixture/ratio can we make in adding the denatured alcohol? Are there any possible effects on the EFI, engine/performance? This will really be of great help if it works, specially this rainy season.

Thanks Chief!
    usually for a tankful of gasoline, you use about a cup of denatured alcohol every five years assuming the only water in the tank is from condensed moisture from the atmospheric air entering the fuel tank as the fuel level goes low. try a cup first, then if the symptoms persist, repeat for the next refuel

palyado after gas up