New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Is it safe to say that overhauling will bring back your engine to its almost brand new state?

Considering these:
    Major overhaul was done by a good mechanic/shop.

We are considering overhauling one of our company vehicles and one of my hesitations is that I heard that it won't last long or problems will come out shortly.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    It's hard to answer. It depends on how much is changed, what has to be done, and how good the mechanic is.

I've had some overhauls that lasted a long time... and some that didn't. I've had to overhaul an engine when we found out that it was previously overhauled and the previous idiot of a mechanic had put the freaking pistons in backwards... ...yes, that's a big deal, as the oilers were on the wrong side, so they weren't doing anything.

I've had one car overhauled by two different mechanics. One did a terrible job, the second one made the engine feel like new.

Also note, if the engine has had major structural damage (hydrolock, oil starvation leading to con-rod failure, overheating leading to extremely warped head), then there's no guarantee that parts you don't replace during the overhaul will not fail in the future due to hidden stress damage. This happened to me with a hydrolocked engine... after 40,000 kilometers, the head cracked due to some hidden damage from the flood.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    In overhauling someone told me to avoid oversizing the pistons because once you have done this, this is the last overhaul that will be effective the next might be not as efficient.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Microscopic cracks can only be detected by highly trained mechanics/machinists that specialize in these things. Tolerances will probably not be as tight depending on the use it was subjected to. If the break in process was dutifully followed and pampered during its service life, then there's a good chance it will rebuild nicely but if it was abused then don't expect a lot. Having the factory service manual helps a lot in dealing with the technical aspects of the engine rebuild process.

If it's a company vehicle then chances are it's probably driver-driven so I can't vouch for how it was taken care of. It's all a subjective case of sorts so you're in the best position to determine if yours has a good chance of being rebuilt. Good luck.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Aside from what has been stated.

A specific service manual of that specific engine should be available to measure service limits of components. Procedures and markings should always be followed. People who overhaul without a manual/reference are irresponsible and gives good mechanics a bad reputation.

Once a mechanic assisted me in a overhaul. He said mali daw nabili kong piston rings kasi sinukut niya sa groves at ayaw pumasok and he even argued! So i said lagay mo yung rings the same exact way you put it in a piston. Tappered/keystone yung rings and he was fitting it the wrong way.
    Last edited by 4JGtootsie; March 11th, 2008 at 11:56 PM.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Djerms View Post
    Is it safe to say that overhauling will bring back your engine to its almost brand new state?

Considering these:
    Major overhaul was done by a good mechanic/shop.

We are considering overhauling one of our company vehicles and one of my hesitations is that I heard that it won't last long or problems will come out shortly.
    Yes, If it will be done by a Certifide Mechanic.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Sir, depende yan sa problema ng engine mo, ano po ba ang dahilan bakit kailangan na mag overhaul ng engine mo? Marami din po kasi dapat i-consider bago magpa-overhaul even yun damage ng engine should be consider bago mag overhaul, isa po kc yan sa magbibigay ng laki ng gastos. Depende din po sa gagawa at lalong lalo na sa machine shop na gagawa ng correction sa major engine parts(engine block, main shaft, cylinder head, etc). Malaki din po ang role ng machine shop, isa po yan sa mga nagiging dahilan kung bakit di nagtatagal ang mga overhauled engines.
    Personally po kapag okay naman ang lahat tulad ng pina overhaul ko, so far six(6) years na ngayon okay pa, ala pa akong naging problema ulit sa engine.
    For more info po you can pm me. Good Luck po.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Yes, If it will be done by a Certifide Mechanic.
    Hmmm...meron ba dito sa Pinas nun? Most mechanics here are backyard mechanics, or those who learned through experience. Wala naman yatang certifying body for automotive mechanics here, unlike sa Tate.

9. Join Date
    May 2004
    Ganun din nangyare sa aken before... Overhaul ba or hinde? So we had it overhauled... After that ang pangit na ng tunog ng makina and hindi na maganda humatak.... Trsuted shop yung pinagpagawan namen... Although hindi na nagbabawas ng langis pero may usok pa din sa dip stick...

10. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    mmm... overhaul! I like Overhaulin!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Overhauling