New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    I was using Havoline 20w50 before and have not encountered any leak. But recently after changing it to 10w40 from shell high mileage oil, Ive seen several leaks below the thermostat area and some around the gasket cover. My valve gasket cover was actually newly replaced before the change oil. Is this a major engine problem? Ride was actually smoother after changing it to 10w40. Problem is yung oil leak. Car is corolla 1997 gli 1.6. 120k mileage.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    bala hindi maganda pag tighten ng cover. problem with some mechanics they dont use a proper torque wrench, though some medyo kabisado ang tamang pag sikip.

if there is a leak sa thermostat.. its a gasket issue... baka nabuksan at ni-reuse ang old gasket...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tsikot Forums mobile app

3. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    mas manipis ung nilagay na bagong langis syempre magkakaroon talaga ng leak

4. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jaypee10 View Post
    mas manipis ung nilagay na bagong langis syempre magkakaroon talaga ng leak
    any oil thins out after normal use, xw50 becomes xw40 or even lower...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tsikot Forums mobile app

5. Join Date
    May 2011
    engine oil viscosity vs temperature - Google Search

Wrong guess. There must be a loose fastener, a damaged gasket, damaged gasket mating surface or foreign object interfering the gasket contact. Viscosity has nothing to do with it specially they are not far apart and the temperature range for the latter oil is within the temperature index

6. Join Date
    May 2011
    engine oil viscosity vs temperature - Google Search

Wrong guess. There must be a loose fastener, a damaged gasket, damaged gasket mating surface or foreign object interfering the gasket contact. Viscosity has nothing to do with it special they are not far apart and the temperature range for the latter oil is within the temperature index

7. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Check you PCV valve. Regardless which oil you use if the crankcase pressure is high, oil will find the nearest or weakest exit.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by bail View Post
    I was using Havoline 20w50 before and have not encountered any leak. But recently after changing it to 10w40 from shell high mileage oil, Ive seen several leaks below the thermostat area and some around the gasket cover. My valve gasket cover was actually newly replaced before the change oil. Is this a major engine problem? Ride was actually smoother after changing it to 10w40. Problem is yung oil leak. Car is corolla 1997 gli 1.6. 120k mileage.

Something about the additive not just the grade...

Oil hardening oil seals? | Passenger Car Motor Oil (PCMO) - Diesel Cars/Vans/SUVs | Bob Is The Oil Guy