New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Greetings tsikoteers and auto-gurus

I urgently need your expert advice or inputs regarding my current predicament . This problem only started this week, but seems to have gotten worse since yesterday and this morning. The car seems to "choke" or "gag" pag driving at slow speeds, mga 20 to 30kph whether in low gear or at 3rd, especially during traffic. When i say choking (kasi ala ko maisip na better term ) what happens is parang tumatadyak bigla ng sunod-sunod ung auto, this morning mejo malala ung tadyak halos tumapon ung mga CDs and shades ko sa dashboard, afterwhich namatay ung auto. Another thing i noticed is everytime pumitik ung thermostat ng aricon, either hihina ung hatak ng auto or the other way around: lalakas naman. I have no idea if this is related to the choking thing, pero mas madalas talaga ngayon, when in fact i never had this problem prior to a few days ago. And pag nag start ung choking, the only way i can stop the jerking (which would lead to the car dying, no pun intended ) is the hold down on the clutch and then slowly release ulet para mag rev ng konti, kaya lang dehins pwede ito lagi pag traffic dahil slow speeds lang tayo dun.

Ang haba nito ah, anyways, would greatly appreciate any inputs, similar experiences and expert advise on what could be causing this and how to resolve or para madali din i-explain sa mech if ever.

Thanks in advance, peeps.

2. Join Date
    May 2007
    Long enought, but forget to mention what kind of vehicle you have. Like makers of the car, model and year. We need all this info when asking.

I tried to understand your explaination the best I can and there's one thing came out in my mind. Again, this is only my 2 cents.

You can check the TCC solenoid is located in the transmission on the valve body. To verify that this is causing your problem, disconnect the four wire plug that plugs into the side of the transmission and drive the car. If your problem is cured, replace the solenoid.

Update us.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    oops! nga pala sorry for that, i'm using a corolla '89, 12valve m/t 4speed.

noted on the solenoid. will include this in my checklist. thanks for that one

4. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    try giving your car a full tune-up.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by H1Tman View Post
    try giving your car a full tune-up.
    yup, just had the tune up last September. Could the timing or fan belts be affecting as well?

6. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    ipa road test mo sa mekanik mo para malaman kung tranny or engine ang cause

7. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bambino View Post
    ipa road test mo sa mekanik mo para malaman kung tranny or engine ang cause
    yup, mechanic checked the car and did a test drive. we noticed that the choking occurs only when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear, hence the slow speeds. What he did was replace a bearing for the fan belt, adjust the fan belt and replace the engine support(??) two of them. I have been driving the car for a few days now, and even though mejo nabawasan ung nginig, it's still there. We are still trying to find out what else could be causing this. Clutch lining na kaya? Pero it only happens on one gear shift 1st to 2nd. Transmission support? Hayyy

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    could be dirty fuel lines, or dirty carbs.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Check fuel pump volume

check the acceleration pump( inside the carb , that's the one giving power during accel)

if it's not giving enough spray , time for a carb overhaul

10. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    carb check up, ok copy that! Thanks mga bossing.

NEED HELP: Car choking(??) at slow speeds