New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Allow me to share with you my message to land cruiser series 80 owners with turbo-charged diesel engines.

To all LC 80 enthusiasts, I would like to share this with you and maybe you can also give your opinion.

I am a proud third owner of a local 1995 LC 80 which I bought from an LC 80 enthusiast in 2009. This vehicle, I believe, has been well taken cared of by its previous owners hence when I bought it, aside from replacing the timing belt, servicing the brakes and the clutch, I just hopped on the vehicle and drove it. Since then I had not had any issues with it, instead I was the issue because I had a Safari intercooler installed, replaced the exhaust system with a second hand 3" stainless steel exhaust and installed also a set of Piak bumpers.

When I bought it, the first uprade was the intercooler then followed by the exhaust system. Installing these things, there were marked improvements on the speed and power of the vehicle.

Last April 20, 2013, after coming across the DevilsOwn Water-Methanol Injection Kit, I met DevilDoc in Mabalacat, Pampanga (I did not know that he was living in the country and I only found out that he is an American when I met him), a proponent of this kit. "Doc" showed me his Nissan ElGrand van and I was so impressed on how it ran and so showing him my vehicle, he recommended the LPG kit to me.

I am not very knowledgeable on technical aspects of an engine although I force myself to understand a little to be able to understand my vehicle thus I made some readings about the LPG kit specially those they install in Australia for the same 1HDT engines we have here. What I only wanted was to have my vehicle be able to at least keep up with convoys if I need to because as we all know and although I understand it wasn't built to be in "speeding" convoys, the 1HDT on the LC 80 is sluggish and sometimes it is not that quick to overtake.

To make the story short, Doc installed his LPG kit on my vehicle last April 27 using his Stage 1 controller. I was not satisfied and I returned last April 29 where he changed my controller with the Stage 2 controller and this time, I was very satisfied.

It can easily pick up speed now, and gets to 120kph easily and even in the city, it can "zoom" easily with sedans.

I asked a mechanic just last Saturday who is into LC 80s, 100s and 200s and his comment was that my vehicle was almost running like a V8 diesel land cruiser.

I know I have to do more tests and practice runs on my vehicle but Doc assured me that this modification has been introduced so many years ago already (40 years, if I heard right) and that it just helps in ensuring the close to 100%, the diesel is "consumed" in the combustion chamber thus more power with less fuel consumption plus a cleaner engine and environment.

I have an ordinary Petron gasul 12 kg cyclinder installed and since I started using it, on and off (although mostly on because I was making tests), I have now about consumed half of my 95 liter diesel fuel with approximately 470 kilometers and an LPG tank with just 1 psi registering on its regulator. Doc tells me that the LPG cylinder may not have been full when I bought it. Anyway, I will have to do some more tests to check consumption but overall, I am very happy with the modification. The LC 80 now "leaps" when you step on the accelerator. This morning I was accosted in skyway for doing a constant 120kph from tollgate to where they stop overspeeding vehicles, below that overpass before the NAIA skyway exit. I begged for forgiveness and they just gave me a warning.

You may want to see this modification in photobucket:

campcrame's Library | Photobucket

Library Slideshow by campcrame | Photobucket

Thanks to all who read this.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Just an update on the result of my test runs.
    An 11kg LPG lasted for 850 kilometers for both city and highway driving maintaining a speed of 100 to 110 kph everytime I am in NLEX.
    Before the LPG kit, travelling at the same speed, I would get 8.5 kph in the highway but when combined with city driving, my fuel consumption would be 7.5 kms to the liter. With the LPG kit, combined city and highway is at 9.6 kms to the liter. Plus, I accelerate much faster now.
    My LC 80 runs like a sedan now, not anymore sluggish and I am very happy.
    Thanks devildoc.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    I do still have enough stuff for another progressive LPG fumigation kit for just about any turbo diesel.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2013
    the engine is td27 in an urvan, would there be an increase in power if i were to increase the exhaust pipe?
    Thanks.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by camp crame View Post
    Just an update on the result of my test runs.
    An 11kg LPG lasted for 850 kilometers for both city and highway driving maintaining a speed of 100 to 110 kph everytime I am in NLEX.
    Before the LPG kit, travelling at the same speed, I would get 8.5 kph in the highway but when combined with city driving, my fuel consumption would be 7.5 kms to the liter. With the LPG kit, combined city and highway is at 9.6 kms to the liter. Plus, I accelerate much faster now.
    My LC 80 runs like a sedan now, not anymore sluggish and I am very happy.
    Thanks devildoc.
    sir are you running at LPG fuel only?

6. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    The lpg is injected just after the air filter before the turbo at around 3psi on this set up, think of it like chipping a non common rail diesel. it increases injection timing, adds fuel, bit it also lets you burn around 95% of your diesel, all which give a big bump in power and the solid increase in fuel economy.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314
Mods to a diesel engine? : )