New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    I have had my Hyundai Matrix for 5 years now at 200000+km. I was surprised that she barely passed the emissions testing after revving it up for 3k+ rpm considering that I have cleaned the tailpipe, something that I have done for years now.

Recently, I have been observing that the exhaust smells "sulphuric" especially on cold starts, which my cousin told me when he opened up our gate. There is a grayish smoke coming out from the tailpie and the smell feels heavy on the lungs. Whenever I rev up to 3k rpm especially on inclines, I can now see from the rear view mirror the belching.

She has a history of Ondoy flooding by the way. I didn't have any ECU problems though according to the casa and the engine didn't have any rust build-ups.

Where should I have her diagnosed? Diesel shops that you could recommend?

2. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
    I have had my Hyundai Matrix for 5 years now at 200000+km. I was surprised that she barely passed the emissions testing after revving it up for 3k+ rpm considering that I have cleaned the tailpipe, something that I have done for years now.

Recently, I have been observing that the exhaust smells "sulphuric" especially on cold starts, which my cousin told me when he opened up our gate. There is a grayish smoke coming out from the tailpie and the smell feels heavy on the lungs. Whenever I rev up to 3k rpm especially on inclines, I can now see from the rear view mirror the belching.

She has a history of Ondoy flooding by the way. I didn't have any ECU problems though according to the casa and the engine didn't have any rust build-ups.

Where should I have her diagnosed? Diesel shops that you could recommend?
    is this vehicle equipped with electronic diesel injection system?

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    200,000 kms na? Wow. Did they change the fuel filter after the flood? It could be a filter or pump problem... or it could be dirty fuel.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    may nabasa ako dati na halos parehong problema crdi engine pero hindi matrix. ang problema daw ay EGR. Punit ang diapgram, marumi, stuck up or defective solenoid ng EGR.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    baka need na magpalit ng injectors.. layo na ng 200,000 kms

6. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Dapat siguro unahin check ang egr kasi kasama ito sa emission control.
    Mas mura ang expenses dito keysa injector. Amoy "sulphuric" daw; galing ito sa sulphur content ng diesel fuel na binubuga ng exhaust system na dapat ay ibabalik sa combustion chamber kung 100% working ang EGR.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    200,000 kms na? Wow. Did they change the fuel filter after the flood? It could be a filter or pump problem... or it could be dirty fuel.
    I had all filters replaced.

What are some good diesel shops that you can recommend? I really hate the "Sir ok naman po ang reading ng ECU" mantra that some casa "mechanics" drop.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Don't know any... Dieseldude here on tsikot seems to have some experience doing CRDis. Speedlab can also work on them, but they'll still have to order parts from outside if they have to replace something, since they don't specialize in diesels. They may be familiar with the Hyundai system, though, as they've worked on quite a few of them. (Santa Fe, Sorento, Starex, etcetera...)

The EGR angle sounds likely if you're belching black smoke. Could be signs of a stuck EGR. If you experience no power loss, then it's probably not your injectors or pump.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    naayos na po ba ang matrix nyo? If so please post ano ang ginawa para na rin sa info ng mga members. Thanks

10. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    I was due for a 205,000km PMS so I decided to have the unit inspected in the casa. Compression was fine and so was the injector (although it's probably on its last legs so to speak) so I asked them to check up on the EGR quickly before they could say "Ok naman po ang ECU readings sir."

Lo and behold, it was a mess. They cleaned it up, had the muffler/tailpipe sprayed with water and after some "belching" on the initial start-up, she was back to the Matrix of old: smokeless. They also told me to try refueling up on other gasoline stations and have her run at 3k+ rpm on NLEX just to blurt out the remaining gunk.

So far so good, until I get the time to have a "second" opinion. Sheesh, and to think that I was tempted to buy one of those fuel injector cleaner/fuel system treatment snake oils. Would have done more harm than good.

Thanks for those who've responded. I'll update if the belching comes back and if I find out the cause behind the EGR build-up.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Matrix Crdi smoke belching at 3k+ rpm