New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2012
    Hello po, just want to hear you comment about my simple project, i already tried thisi in my motorcycles, effective nman po. And i want to try it naman sa oto ko,

Washable air filter, and i think this is higher air flow rate compare to usual paper filter.

I need to spray with oil before installation to trap small dust particles

2. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Answer is No.

Paper element filters better than those synthetic washables.

Air filters are single pass, you pass the dirt due to poor filtration and it goes to your combustion and eventually to oil.

More dirt means greater abrasion to engine friction parts, also called wear.

Stick to OEM or equivalent paper filter and follow recommended replacement interval.

3. Join Date
    May 2006
    big NO, lalo pa kung MAF system yan car mo, pag lipad ng mga particles nyan at sumabit sa sensing element sira na basa ng airflow and it will cause you pain to diagnose it

4. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Search mo sa youtube sa MightyCarmods channel about Air Filter myths...

5. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Replacement air filters are rather cheap and should have adequate quality. I don't feel that there's a need to improvise unless your car has a rare type of air filter that can't easily be bought in the market.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Air filter is not that expensive. No need to improvise imo.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    actually ang magandang filter is Steel Wool... mas less restricted ang air flow.. car manufacturers install thick paper filters to create vacuum...

engine on idle have very little vacuum in the intake.. with the paper filter, this vacuum can be maintained.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jmpet626 View Post
    Hindi yata nila nireset yung ecu in between tests.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jmpet626 View Post
    I've seen it. Those guys don't know jack.

I've been to numerous tuning and testing sessions on the dyno. Filters CAN make extra power. They just have to be designed properly. Hell, Sport Compact Car managed to eke out enough extra power to show up on the quarter mile by removing the snorkel on an airbox, and taping it up (hood off) so the air filter faced into the wind (ram effect).

What doesn't work is simply slapping something extra in without proper testing and design.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    May 2012
    Thanks to all your advise. Kala ko kasi mag iimproved pa ang power since higher flow rate at tipid at the same time. Anyway, try ko pa magresearch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast