New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Anyone here has had to replace their Idle Air Control Valve? I have a 2002 Honda CR-V with 51k mileage. I brought the car to Honda to have it checked after the MIL lit up. They recommended that the IACV be replaced. They may be right but I want to know if this is normal for a car that's less than 5 years old and with that mileage. How does one break an IACV anyway?

My friend recommended that I bring the car to Speedy Fix for a second opinion saying that maybe all it needs is a good cleaning. Heard a lot of good things about Speedy Fix here so I may go there this Monday. Or maybe I should just bring it back to Honda? Would appreciate your suggestions.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    It gets dirty. It's a common problem on EFI cars.

Try bringing it to another shop and see if cleaning will help. At some dealerships, replacement is their solution to everything. In this case, it might be too extreme for a problem that shows up as a MIL but doesn't cause driveability problems.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    normally a dirty iacv will cause erratic idling and not a problem with the mil. we see the mil light up on older hondas but when that happens then normally sira the the ecu and it needs to be repaired or replaced. in these cases the box gets burned because the sensor keeps sending a signal to the box and this leads to burned out i/c's.

we can try cleaning muna then a reset of the box. if that fails you will need a new iacv and something has to be done sa box.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Thanks for your replies. The MIL lighting up and the erratic idling only happens during cold starts but disappears after the engine has warmed up. I've been reading up on articles in the internet and it seems it is a common problem with CR-Vs in the U.S.

Just in case the IACV needs to be replaced, does Speedy Fix keep IACVs in stock? How long does it take to clean and test it or have it replaced (so I can re-arrange my work schedule)? Thanks.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    nope, we don't keep them in stock. we will probably have to order from honda also. you can also bring your own pero i wouldn't suggest it until after you have had it cleaned. normally cleaning takes around 4-5 hours.

6. Join Date
    May 2006
    did honda give you the mil code (in generic obd2 Pxxxx code)? could you post it here in the forum? please note that a MIL does not necessary mean a failed sensor or component but rather circuit problem. (pansinin nyo karamihan trouble codes ay nagsasabing **** circuit failure or problem)

7. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    I'm not too sure, but in case sira nga talaga ang IACV ng CR-V mo, maybe you can try Toyota's IACV. Pwede rin daw, according to my mechanic here sa Commonwealth. Mas mura daw kasi, kung budget mode ka.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    what would be the effect if the two hoses (on the IACV) were put in differently?
    i mean, there are 2 hoses that's connected to it, right?
    what if baligtad ang pagkaka-kabit? yung dapat na nasa kanan napunta sa kaliwa,
    yung dapat na nasa kaliwa naikabit sa kanan?

9. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    xonx, how's the car? hope di narin bumalik yung mil.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Hi Migz, two days after, no problems so far. The idle is perfect and the MIL has not made an appearance.

My beef with Honda is that when I asked the service advisor specifically if they took out the IACV and cleaned it, they said they did and that the error code still persisted so I need to replace the IACV. But when your crew took it out and showed me all that carbon build-up (more like soot) in the IACV as well as the problem with the throttle body, the service advisor obviously was not being totally honest with me, to say the least. And yeah, thinking about it, they were kind of hazy about the particular MIL code too.

One thing I can say is that Speedy Fix has gained a new customer and Honda has lost a once loyal one. Kudos to you and your crew. For sure, you'll be seeing more of me (well, hopefully not that much, only on my car's PMS!).

BTW, my staff will be sending you our request for quotation for the fleet maintenance agreement within the week.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Idle Air Control Valve