New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

View Poll Results: Would you consider alternatively powered vehicles as your next car to purchase?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

17 85.00%
  • No

1 5.00%
  • Undecided

2 10.00%
  • I'd rather walk

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Would you consider alternatively powered vehicles as your next car to purchase (if such vehicles are available on the local market)?

Alternative power includes:
    -electric
    -electric/gasoline hybrid
    -hydrogen
    -bio-fuel (includes bio-diesel/bio-gas)
    -electric bikes
    -etc

EV World (click here)

TidalForce Electric Bikes (click here)

2. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    yes, i would.

but the problem is that they, hybrid cars for instance, are priced exorbitantly, the cost of fuel you could save in years is being added to the sticker price.

though greener, it's costlier.
    Last edited by 109; September 29th, 2004 at 07:25 PM.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Actually, if the government would grant tax breaks for hybrids, the cost would be LOWER.

Consider the Toyota Prius:

A few Priuses (Prii? Grammar experts, which plural is correct? :P) are being used by taxi operators at the moment. While the initial cost is higher, gas bills are lessened by over 70%, while maintenance bills are very low. Brake pads on the Prius only need to be changed every 90,000 km... that is over twice what most car brake pads can do... and this is in CITY driving!

And that was the ONLY thing the operators had to change besides the oil and filters. The very nature of hybrids lengthens the life of the engine. The worst conditions for your car's engine are idling in traffic and starting and stopping. (most stress)... The electric engine does almost all of this for the gas engine.

The gas savings will only balance out the price of the car at around 160,000km... but the way fuel prices are rising, that number might go down quickly in the coming years.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I'd consider a hybrid SUV like the Ford Escape.

Though, for the moment the price doesn't justify the savings. Like in the case of the Prius (save for the taxi operator story). Compared against an Echo (which is one of the top gas misers in the US), the ROI of a Prius is just way too long.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    YESSSS! I am already using bio-diesel (10% blend) in two of my diesel-engined rides for two years already!

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    ROI may be long, but long-term dependability is a plus. Would be best if the Prius were diesel-electric, but US market regs... grrrr....

Comparison is fair, but you have to note that the Prius is a compact car, while the Echo is a sub-compact. :D

I'm willing to bet a fair percentage of new cars over the next decade will be 'hybrids' like the new Escape Hybrid... normal cars with an electric-assist... as this is the easiest way to go for now.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i think that the government is pushing a bill that would give natural gas vehicles a zero percent tax on CBUs. just read it this morning in Manila Bulletin.

i think it's for the PUBs. don't know about private vehicles though

8. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    yes i am. would love to own eco-friendly cars. not only do i save gas. i also save mother nature.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    What's good for you usually costs higher than what's bad. Go to any restaurant and ask to see their menu. Compare the prices of the fruit juices versus those of the sodas, and you'll see what I mean.

Ako, I'd go for alternative vehicles given the finances and the opportunity. Since present circumstances have granted me neither, I went for the next best thing: a Euro-compliant diesel engine, doing its bit for the environment.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by tebs
    i think that the government is pushing a bill that would give natural gas vehicles a zero percent tax on CBUs. just read it this morning in Manila Bulletin.

i think it's for the PUBs. don't know about private vehicles though

yup, the gov't is pushing for 60% of PUBs to be running on natural gas.

though, I'd rather have them running on hydrogen since this really is the way of the future! what is just lacking now is the proper infrastructure!

and a hybrid gasoline-hydrogen vehicle is feasible. just look at the hybrid RX-8.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Would you consider: Alternatively Powered Vehicles