New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by hondabishi View Post
    we are trying to help the TS to figure out first if he's really checking the oil level the right way....before jumping into a conclusion that the engine was indeed overfilled.

What about your post...did you even try to answer the TS's question?

Why the hate? :thumbdown: I am curious to know as well "how much excess oil is too much before damage can happen to an engine?". I do not know of a definitive answer other than its a bad thing to do because it goes against a very basic instruction in the manual.

The TS is not asking you guys the proper way to check the oil. IMHO.

2. Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by hondabishi View Post
    we are trying to help the TS to figure out first if he's really checking the oil level the right way....before jumping into a conclusion that the engine was indeed overfilled.

What about your post...did you even try to answer the TS's question?

Why the hate? :thumbdown: I am curious to know as well "how much excess oil is too much before damage can happen to an engine?". I do not know of a definitive answer other than its a bad thing to do because it goes against a very basic instruction in the manual.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    1-possible improper lubrication from oil aeration
    2- if the oil gets ingested through the PCV, it causes engine runaway
    3-it will cause the catalytic converter to get clogged up
    4-smoke belching

Oil level maximum level means maximum or full. Between limits is usually good. Ikanga moderation
    Last edited by jick.cejoco; October 11th, 2015 at 12:13 PM.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Battousai1 View Post
    Hi guys! I just want to ask your opinion regarding excess oil in an engine.

Last September, our new Hyundai Accent (diesel) was scheduled for its first 1000km change oil. Two weeks after the change oil we noticed that the oil level in the dip stick was a bit high, around an inch higher from the "F" or max level, we then brought the car to the service center to have the excess oil drained. right after the oil was drained the oil level on the dip stick was exactly back at the max level. Now after a week, I tried checking the oil level again, this time after around 12 hours (cold engine), surprisingly the oil level is around 1/3 inch higher from the max level.

My mistake was not checking the level of oil after the first change oil and trusting too much on the service center mechanics.

During the two weeks I was running the engine with the oil level on the dip stick an inch higher from the max level, what damage could possibly happen? I made some research and most of the things I've read is the possibility of "foaming" oil when the crank is hitting the oil which of course is bad for the engine.

but is that level of oil really dangerous? (an inch higher from the max level of the dip stick)

Right now, this is the level of oil in our car on cold check:

Attachment 29338
    overfilling the oil sump may cause the reciprocating crankshaft to touch the oil at high speed, producing the "eggbeater syndrome". air is mixed with the oil, producing a foam. the oil pump may suck this foam and push it into the oil passages. this oil-and air mixture does not have very good lubricating ability, can result in friction and eventually, metal wear.
    so to answer your question, I do not think anyone can say at exactly what height or overfill, the eggbeater syndrome may occur. iba-iba kasing size ang mga crankshaft stroke, e.. not to mention, most modern oils have anti-foaming additives..
    bottomline... just do not overfill, po.
    how not to overfill, napakaraming suggestion sa itaas..

btw, I think the best time to check oil level, is with the engine cold. as in, in the morning before firing her up.
    manuals probably say "warm" because that is how majority of practical mechanics do it.. wait 10 minutes after customer drives in and turns off the engine. he can't very well say to leave the car and come back tomorrow now, just for an oil level check, can he?
    Last edited by dr. d; October 12th, 2015 at 12:21 AM.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Hmn... Ganyan din ang reading ko last week when I checked my dipstick (first time that I did since I bought my car). Although my oil was a little bit light colored than the posted pic. I'll try the above tips for proper reading. Curved din kasi yung pinaghuhugutan ng stick and it could be that the engine had already gone cold.

However, my manual doesn't state anything about the proper timing to check the oil level.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by fireice2 View Post

OT:
    I can't see any hate comment in my post, I'm just saying/asking. Your post doesn't look like 'it's out of curiosity' either...just saying.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Chill Guys, let's settle down. To TS, I just hope that nothing bad has happened to your engine, although too much oil should have been checked before, that's before they dropped the oil level from one inch to 1/3 of an inch above the full mark. Sana na-checked before yung oil level when the engine is at normal operating temperature, should had checked it right away the dipstick kung may bubble formation dito, then kung may excessive bubble formation sa oil, you can say that the oil level is too much talaga and tumatama na crankshaft sa oil level, and can harm your engine kung napabayaan pa ng matagal. Since you have your car still under warranty and you should document the first time you had complained of excessive oil fill. For now, yung 1/3 inch above the full mark may not be harmful anymore to your engine, but If I were you, I will visit again the casa who did your PMS and insist to them to further drop the oil level to the correct full mark and have it documented kung pwede. If sabihin nila na di naman masama yung too much oil level sa engine ng car mo, just keep complaining and show them the car manual stating the procedure in checking the oil level, they should follow the manufacturer's procedure anyway. For now, just observe for any unusual behavior in your new car....
    Last edited by rmsoriano; October 12th, 2015 at 04:08 AM.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2014
    What I do para makaiwas sa over filling, 3L lang pakarga ko kung 3.4L max capacity. Kung 6.5L, 6L lang lagay ko.

Its better kung between sa High and low ang oil level kaysa labas.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2014
    What I do para makaiwas sa over filling, 3L lang pakarga ko kung 3.4L max capacity. Kung 6.5L, 6L lang lagay ko.

Its better kung between sa High and low ang oil level kaysa labas.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Hi guys! Thanks for the replies and for the help.

I have checked the manual and followed the instruction. The manual says that to check the oil level you need to run the engine up to operating temperature then shut if off and wait for 5 minutes before checking the dip-stick level. Now after checking, the oil level is barely below the "Full" mark so I think that level could be acceptable (although I really wanted it to be a little bit further below the full mark).

I would also like to let you know that the excess amount of oil that was removed is like around 500ml (half of the motor oil bottle).

Lastly, I would like to share with you the thought of a friend of mine regarding the practice of some service centers, according to him and based from his experience, sometimes the service center puts in more oil on-purpose just for you to pay more. They are not following what is in the manual.

Also, I would like to ask what is your interpretation about this item on the invoice I got from the service center:

img_20151021_041402.jpg

The description says: "4-L HGMO FULLY SYNTHETIC MOTOR OIL" and the Quantity says: "6". Does this mean they used 6 liters of oil?

According to the manual, the engine has 5.3 liters of oil capacity so if my interpretation of the invoice is correct then they have poured in an excess of almost 700 ml of oil.

I am just bothered about the fact that for 2-weeks of running the engine with an excess of let's say 700 ml, will there ever be any damage that could manifest in the long run?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast