New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    my friend gave me his old turbocharger since he got a new one from japan. I'm just thinking if i ca install it on my own, my friend told me to leave it to the expert to avoid certain damage on my car... but still i want to try DIY it. any piece of advise?

2. Join Date
    May 2006
    D.I.Y can be done on this upgrade if you know how to work your way around your cars engine. Plus you have to do an in-depth research on your charger's compatibility with your engine because this ain't as simple as putting in a new stereo.

Also try to fill us in on some details like where is the charger coming from (carmake/engine) and what engine do you plan to bolt it on.

I think that you also have the charger checked/tested first so that you'll know if it still works. It's kinda rare for someone to just give it away.

Good Luck

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Dann Pill View Post
    my friend gave me his old turbocharger since he got a new one from japan. I'm just thinking if i ca install it on my own, my friend told me to leave it to the expert to avoid certain damage on my car... but still i want to try DIY it. any piece of advise?
    You can DIY it and end up with a blown engine.

Its not just a matter of adding more air... its a balance of air & fuel... and trying NOT to exceed the limits of your engine block as well.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    what's the ride? what turbo brand and size is it? ct?

5. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Of course, anything is possible.

If you have the time, the money, a knowledgable mechanic to assist you, and an exrtra car to temporarily use, go for it. Then share the progress of your work with us.

Good luck,

Dieseldude

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Dann Pill
    Meron bang turbo ang car mo ngayon? Palit lang ba ang gagawin?
    Kung NA at gusto mo gawin forced induction then yan ang mahirap, pero possible.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Possible. Pero di lang yan basta plug and play. Dami mo pa i-invest to make the turbocharger work efficiently like adding an intercooler, BOV, re-mapping the ECU, re-enforcing the engine block to take the added pressure. Gauges, piping, headers and downpipe..etc..etc.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    double double
    Last edited by uls; August 14th, 2008 at 12:56 PM.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    is it the turbocharger only or the entire kit?

first u need a manifold to attach the turbocharger to, which attaches to the engine. do u have the manifold?

then the piping from the turbo to the intercooler, and piping from intercooler to intake. do u have an intercooler and the piping?

then u need an air filter and piping to attach to the air-sucking side of turbo,
    and exhaust piping from the wastegate side of the turbo.

That's the easy part.

The harder part is fuel delivery and tuning.

Do u have additional injectors or bigger injectors?

Do u have the electronics to handle the new A/F mix?

How about a higher-flowing fuel pump? a higher pressure fuel regulator?

U need dyno time to check if the electronics will give u proper A/F all thru out the rpm range.

And u might want to consider a metal head gasket, stronger pistons, stronger conrods for your engine...

I get tired just thinking about all that

---

i forgot about the blow-off valve. And a turbo timer. And a boost gauge.

How about bigger brakes?
    Last edited by uls; August 14th, 2008 at 01:09 PM.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    thanks guys sa advise. manifold palang meron ako. but i think sa expert ko nalang pagawa baka maging kariton pa wheels ko i'll just watch how he will do it to gather some infos... thanks again

How to install a turbo charger(DIY):is it possible?