New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    gud day...is it enough to shower the engine with water?
    panu po maalis ung mga itim itim sa mga gilid gilid po?
    ung alikabok po maging mud?
    bukod po sa airfilter and battery, anu pa po ba mga dapat takpan po?
    any detergent or degreaser can be use?
    anu po ba tamang procedure?
    nakakainis po kc ung mga carwash dito samen...2hrs ang pilahan...inde pa pulido ang linis, sometimes spots are missed...
    help po mga gurus
    tnx ng marame

altis

2. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    all i do is cover up the intake manifold. yun lang. pero kung may distributor ka (yung old type) kasi yung akin electronic lahat. wala nang dist. so intake lang tinatakpan ko. tsaka warm up your engine first. not totally hot. just warm it up. 1 min is enough. para lang may capability siya na mag evaporate ng water if you wet it. delikado na kasi if malamig makina mo baka magkaroon ng stagnant water dyan hehe

well, this is just for me. i even tried it on a hot engine. smokes all over. but ok parin hehe

3. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    I mix up a soap solution and put it in one of those bottles with a spray(er?) head attachment. After putting a rag over the alternator, distributor and over where the HT wires go into the valve cover, I spray the solution liberally all over the engine bay. I then use a sponge that i dip into a bucket of water to rinse off and clean out whatever I can reach.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    naku wag po i warm up kung engine wash... as much as possible keep it cold kasi pagbiglang masalpakan ng cold water yung hot engine, baka may magcrack (worst case) or may madamay na component ng engine.

i use several products for engine wash, bug and tar remover for painted areas, joy with water for plastic areas, and yung pang garden na spray (yung pump to create pressure thingy :bwahaha, degreaser minsan kung garapal na yung putik.

i remove the battery and the cold intake para hindi mahirap maneuver sa ilalim. then cover the alternator, intake, and distributor.

una, i clean the painted areas with plain water then do bug and tar remover kung may stains. for the plastic areas, yung joy with water and gamitan ng old toothbrush para malinis ng mabuti. yung metal parts naman, kung garapal na yung dumi... degreaser na pero kung hindi pa naman, ok lang na joy pa rin gamitin.

sobrang nakakapagod lang and ubos oras pero after,,, sulit naman pagod

hth

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    wag sabon na powder or bar, they usually turnes to white when dried. mas maganda yung liquid soap, walang residues...

6. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    ok lng po kung pati ung top engine block (plastic cover removed; mababasa na po ung mga spark plugs wires) po ng altis ibrush ng toothbrush with soap po?

tnx po sa mga advice...i really need them po...novice po kase bout sa kotse and new tsikoteer

7. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Covering the alternator, starter, high tension wires before doing an engine wash is sufficient preparation for older engines.

With the newer electronically managed engines which have a lot of sensors, actuators, harnesses, and sealed connectors; high pressure washing is not recommended. Water intrusion into the electronic connectors / terminals may change resistance and signal voltages, and cause the ECU to log some faults. Water will also slowly corrode the harness connectors, and result in future problems.

Punas punas lang, and meticulous detailing without high pressure water is the best way to clean modern engines.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    DIY Tipid Style:

with our gas engines before, I only cover the ignition coil, distributor and alternator.
    I use kerosene as degreaser, put it in sprayer na gamit ng mga bading sa parlor
    Sponge and brush the areas you want to clean then daan-daan lang ng pressure washer-wag sobrang tutok. pwede rin ordinary garden hose kung walang PW and the same lang wag tutukan ang mga sensitive electricals.

Now with my 4ja-1 diesel engine, it’s only the alternator that I cover with the ame procedure.

If ever magkaron ako ng ride with complex electronics and computer. Punas punas na lang rin with degreaser and soap – mahirap na baka di na tumakbo after hehe…

9. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Ako heto:

1) Blow the dust off with compressed air with running vacuum cleaner hose on top. This way hindi lilipad yung dust, sa vacuum lang ang punta.
    2) Tapos apply ko ng MC with foam yung buong engine bay including underhood. Lahat ng nooks and crannies na kayang maabot.
    3) Then naspu naspu lang to finish it.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    I wipe and dust off my engine everytime I wash my car. After long drives (out of town) I use car shampoo and water the day after the drive (when the engine is cool). The trick to engine washing is doing it often so as not to accumulate dirt.

Additional tip:
    Use gloves (I use the ones you use for the kitchen). I noticed that my hands get cuts when I wipe the 'hard to reach' areas.

how to diy engine wash?