New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2014
    I recently bought a 2nd hand AE101 GLi all stock aside from the muffler. The owner said the stock muffler had some holes to be repaired which is not good to hear while the car is running so instead of having it fix, he decided to replace it with an HKS Hi-Power muffler ...

The sound is a bit not to my taste, its a bit too loud, I can hear it inside the cabin.

How can I silent it ?? Is there a bolt on Silencer for this HKS model ??

I saw some cars with modified mufflers which are not as loud as this ... Is that what they call Chambered mufflers ?? I like the low sound of those chambered which are not too loud ..

Is the HKS Silent Hi-Power a Chambered muffler ?? If I replaced my Hi-Power with that Silent Hi-Power, will it be not too loud ??? Or should I look for another brand like Apexi Chambered ??

Suggestions pls ...

2. Join Date
    Aug 2013
    change it to chambered sir. most "bassy" sounding muffler i use was the FGK, i think all FGK chambered mufflers are "bassy" except for the Evolution Legalis R model.

or if you want to retain your current muffler, replace your stock resonator with this specs, 24" in body length with an inlet and outlet pipe size of 2.25" (oval design), this will "silent" your muffler from idle up to 3500 rpm but 3500 rpm till redline, .

any muffler shop can custom made this for you. price ranges from P1200 to P1500.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    yup, change the muffler and sell your HKS..

4. Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by innova2013 View Post
    change it to chambered sir. most "bassy" sounding muffler i use was the FGK, i think all FGK chambered mufflers are "bassy" except for the Evolution Legalis R model.

or if you want to retain your current muffler, replace your stock resonator with this specs, 24" in body length with an inlet and outlet pipe size of 2.25" (oval design), this will "silent" your muffler from idle up to 3500 rpm but 3500 rpm till redline, .

any muffler shop can custom made this for you. price ranges from P1200 to P1500.

I went to my friend who is a detailer and he took a look at my muffler and under chassis ... he said the reason why its so loud is because it has been modified as straight through, the catalytic converter & resonator had been removed by the previous owner ..

I'm thinking of having the stock muffler repaired and installed, will it silent the sound even without the catcon and resonator ???

Or I just have to put a catcon & resonator installed by a muffler shop and retain the hks ?? will this silent the hks if installed with catcon & resonator ???

I just want a bassy sound but doesnt shout out loud on high rev ...

5. Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaremos View Post
    I went to my friend who is a detailer and he took a look at my muffler and under chassis ... he said the reason why its so loud is because it has been modified as straight through, the catalytic converter & resonator had been removed by the previous owner ..

I'm thinking of having the stock muffler repaired and installed, will it silent the sound even without the catcon and resonator ???

Or I just have to put a catcon & resonator installed by a muffler shop and retain the hks ?? will this silent the hks if installed with catcon & resonator ???

I just want a bassy sound but doesnt shout out loud on high rev ...
    AE101 doesn't have catcon but late generation AE111 (baby altis) does.

from my last post, installing a custom made resonator will greatly improve the sound of your current muffler.

bassy sound from idle to 3500 rpm even on cruising at 100 kph, but 3500rpm until redline = heaven

6. Join Date
    Apr 2014

from my last post, installing a custom made resonator will greatly improve the sound of your current muffler.

bassy sound from idle to 3500 rpm even on cruising at 100 kph, but 3500rpm until redline = heaven
    ok sir so no catcon on the AE101 ... my friend said my current setup was straight through, it was only the HKS muffler and no resonator ..

where should be the resonator located ?? is it before the muffler or inside the stock muffler ??

if i install a custom made resonator, where will it be located also ??

7. Join Date
    Aug 2013
    ok sir so no catcon on the AE101 ... my friend said my current setup was straight through, it was only the HKS muffler and no resonator ..

where should be the resonator located ?? is it before the muffler or inside the stock muffler ??

if i install a custom made resonator, where will it be located also ??
    before the muffler.

muffler shops already know where exactly to install it.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2014

what is the size of the stock resonator and how will it compare to the one you said custom made 24" resonator ??

9. Join Date
    Aug 2013
    what is the size of the stock resonator and how will it compare to the one you said custom made 24" resonator ??
    if i remember it right, the stock resonator is almost 12 inches in body length with 1.5" size inlet pipe.

restricted exhaust flow with less ability to suppress exhaust noise compared to the 24" body length with 2" or larger than your current exhaust pipe size.

note: if your happy with the top end power of your current setup, do not reinstall the resonator. the fabricated resonator will improve low to mid power but will sacrifice a little at the top.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2014
    if i remember it right, the stock resonator is almost 12 inches in body length with 1.5" size inlet pipe.

restricted exhaust flow with less ability to suppress exhaust noise compared to the 24" body length with 2" or larger than your current exhaust pipe size.

note: if your happy with the top end power of your current setup, do not reinstall the resonator. the fabricated resonator will improve low to mid power but will sacrifice a little at the top.
    the hks muffler comes with the car I bought second hand, I'm mostly in city driving, house to office, so I prefer an almost silent setup like a stock muffler sound ..

If I reinstall the stock muffler without a resonator, will it still be loud ???

If installing a fabricated resonator sacrifice the top power, does it mean a stock size resonator will not ??

Will this setup also sacrifice top power ???

Stock resonator + stock muffler = ????
    Stock resonator + HKS = ???
    Custom resonator + HKS = ????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast