New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Unless your mileage is already atrocious and the roadshow of your tailpipe is that embarassing, I would rather think deeply on the cost vs benefit of subjecting that car for immediate surgery

Have a standard check first and weigh the options and possibilities well.

2. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sboogie View Post
    is it ok to replace only the valve seal?

my engine is still running great(strong and quite) and still looks great because of proper maintenance. the only problem is that since this February it started emitting white smoke once in a while, while driving. but now its continuous.

i'm planning to have a top overhaul, but just replacing the valve seal. i don't want it to be brought to a machine shop. because it still runs great.

any suggestions?

thanks

I had a similar problem a couple of months ago. The only difference is it happened after overhauling. I took it back to the mechanic and he replaced the valve seals (Which were NOT the proper valve seals in the first place!). No more white smoke ever since.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    compression test is normally about 200.

if you like we can replace the valve seals without lifting the head. just be sure that you use oem valve seals and not replacement ones.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    many of my friends suggested nga to replace the valve seal only. because it only produces white smoke when hitting 2000 rpm.

now i will be looking for a good shop.

sir speedyfix ygpm

5. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    sir speedy, ask ko sana kung how much magpa-diagnose ng engine (4AFE).
    para sana sir ma-check yung performance (timing, idling, air fuel mixture). TIA

6. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Abnormal white smoke is usually caused by coolant leaking into cylinders. Burning of fully synthetic engine oil is also said to produce white smoke.

Blue smoke is the prophet of doom for excessive engine oil burning. It may come from bad valve guides or worn cylinder wall/ piston rings.

Oil is drawn(vacuumed) from bad valve guides when engine is off or low load condition. Car will smoke blue when newly started decreases or disappeares while you cruise.

Blue smoke that worsen with increasing load and acceleration is usually caused by bad rings/cylinder wall.

While running, rev the car high, back-off then accelerate again, blue smoke? the rings or walls are likely the culprit.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    yan din sabi ng iba sa akin, if at idle and there is no visible white smoke and only appears when running at higher rpm then its only coming from bad valve seals.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    'Valves' generally do not leak oil while the engine is running since the seals expand with the heat of the engine and plug the leak.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    valve seal or valve guide leaks?

Smoking as the engine is started then disappear as it run>>>>valve seal

Smoking when engine is decelerated>>>>valve guides(Bad..)

Hints lang po. Leak test is a must.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Have you adjusted the clearance of your valve lately?
    Its possible that because of wear and tear the valves and seats dont seal effectively. Your mileage is quite high but if you can extend your engine life until you loose compression in one or more cylinders then that is maximizing its service.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Help on Top Overhaul