New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Good am. I would like to ask if it is necessary to cool down the crdi diesel engine of innova diesel, hyundai tucson and the likes. I asked from hyundai regarding my concerned , they say its not necessary because of the intercooler but he speaks only for the hyundai but not sure of other brand. But with vgt crdi engine of carens and crdi of innova, may I ask if we should cool down the engine, if yes for how long.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    I drive an Innova, it do have a turbo but no intercooler.

The SA said to cool down the engine between 2 to 5 mins.

The reason behind this is to release the build up pressure in the turbo itself after driving the car above 80 KPH... and during LONG drives.

And if you're city driving and haven't reach the speed 80 KPH and above, I guess it's safe to not cool down the engine.

BUT for me, city driving or long drive... I still follow what the SA advised.

HTH

3. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    it's not the engine that needs to be cooled, it's the turbocharger. particularly the oil in it.

you'd need to cool it down if you revved the engine hard during the trip.

you can opt to drive really gently (keep it under 2000 rpm) for the last 5-10 minutes of your trip instead of leaving it idle for 5 five minutes.

That or get a turbo timer, which automatically shuts down the engine after a set amount of time after you "turn off" the car.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by scharnhorst View Post
    it's not the engine that needs to be cooled, it's the turbocharger. particularly the oil in it.

you can opt to drive really gently (keep it under 2000 rpm) for the last 5-10 minutes of your trip instead of leaving it idle for 5 five minutes.

That or get a turbo timer, which automatically shuts down the engine after a set amount of time after you "turn off" the car.

turbo timer ranges 3k up...
    some car alarms are with TT

5. Join Date
    Dec 2005

This is what I do especially during long drives,- just keep the RPM at about 2K so that the turbo is not engaged, just before I stop for rest or fuel.

5000:boom:

6. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    can you check again, i think the innova have an intercooler. It is situated in the front like the radiator. thanks

7. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    nope wala pong intercooler innova
    2.5 Liter Diesel, 4-Cylinder, In-line 16V, Double Overhead Camshaft (Turbo Charged) (2KD-FTV)

not like the fortuner
    Direct Injection, 4-Cylinder In-Line, DOHC 16 Valve, Variable Nozzle Turbo with Intercooler (1KD-FTV)

8. Join Date
    Mar 2006

I also do this because I don't have a turbo timer or didn't have it set in my alarm. Fast highways are usually isolated from city streets, therefore, as soon as I leave the highway, I have to traverse some slow streets, and that is the time when I don't rev my engine too much to cool down my turbo.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    sir having an intercooler does not mean that you dont need to cool down the turbo. the work of the intercooler is to cool the air from the turbo before entering the manifolds.

you need to idle the engine after running it because the turbo is still spinning and if you turn off the engine right away the oil supply is cut to the turbo. no oil supply plus a spinning turbo equals worn bearings. that is why idling it will make the turbo stop spinning. since it is powered by the exhaust gasses, during idle there is less exhaust gas force to spin the turbo.

that is why it is a wise investment to buy a turbo timer. yesterday we had a client who bought a turbo timer for his trooper. I asked why only now since his trooper is old already. he said he just replaced the turbo because it broke due to not having to idle it down when it was still new.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    sir arb pwede ba malagyan ng TT yung mga cars with immobilizer? keys with chip not the alarm with starter cut off.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
help re cool down of crdi diesel engine