New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Problem Description

While doing a reverse on a very slightly uphill curve, the car engine stalled but with all electrical devices still running (ie Aircon, headlights). I turned off the car but it wont start again. There was no crank when I tried to start the engine. What baffles me is this constant humming sound when the key is in "on" position.

A Newbie's Attempt to Resolve the Issue

I checked the battery power/terminals/life; it seemed ok... everything is running bau (ie Aircon, headlights, wipers, horn). I just had this car tuned up before Holyweek. I was completely bummed out.

Call a Friend

Starter solenoid problem? Alternator? Fuel Pump/Relay? Timing belt perhaps? I thought of these things but I wanted to be in denial. It's 1130pm, I'm not sure if there is a mechanic available to service my car. I'm about to panic. I don't have cash with me (300php lang). I skipped my usual atm withdrawal due to the "mala-nora aunor movie line" at cybergate.

I called Kuya Boy (driver ni Lolo) na lang for consultation. He told me na it could be one of the three above. Na I could have it towed (waaah, 1K daw ang tow..putek mahal) na lang, drop it at my Lolo's house at Pasig. Then, he could look into it the next morning.

It's a Miracle!!!

After succumbing to his idea, I was asked by the guard to move the car so it will not pose as a risk to other drivers. At this point, I was thinking.. "automatic to di mo pwede itulak, pano kaya to?". But I remembered na may power sya. So I asked the guard and my colleague to push the car after I put the key in "on" position and put the gear in neutral.

After this exercise, I prayed that sana mag start na sya. One last try bago mag cab pauwi. Not realizing that I left the gear in neutral, I keyed in the key then tried to start the engine. Lo and Behold, the car cranked and it finally started. Weeee!

I need your input

What do you think happened? I'll be bringing it in to have it checked pero it would be nice to get numerous diagnosis. thanks!

Notes

- My car is a 1998 Lancer GLXI Automatic
    - Timing belt was replaced by CASA back in 2005
    - Tune Up and Change Oil done a wk before Holy Week
    - I drove the car from cybergate to central (mga 1Km lang ang layo)
    - naka full tank ang kotse

Thank you po sa mga magiging inputs ninyo peeps.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    sir mukhang may nagloose sa wiring high tension baka" nung naka uphill reverse kayo kaya nung namatay e halos crank or redondo eh wala?

high tension sa palagay ko

antayin natin ibang mga tsikoters pa check mo na din sa auto electrical baka may makita silang findings kaysa naman maulit pa at baka may kasama ka pang chicks nakakahiya yun. hehehe

3. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    pare... you maybe left it in gear and trying to start the engine?

if so, you won't be able to start it. automatics will only crank on D or in N...

hope this helps bro...

addendum: your car stalling on an slightly uphill curve in reverse might be a cause of:
    1. your idle is too low. namatay makina dahil hindi naapakan mabuti ang gas at bumaba ang rev
    then eventually namatay.
    2. ewan... hehehe...
    Last edited by simplicity; April 16th, 2009 at 11:04 AM. Reason: yes

4. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by machoba View Post
    Problem Description

While doing a reverse on a very slightly uphill curve, the car engine stalled but with all electrical devices still running (ie Aircon, headlights). I turned off the car but it wont start again. There was no crank when I tried to start the engine. What baffles me is this constant humming sound when the key is in "on" position.

A Newbie's Attempt to Resolve the Issue

I checked the battery power/terminals/life; it seemed ok... everything is running bau (ie Aircon, headlights, wipers, horn). I just had this car tuned up before Holyweek. I was completely bummed out.

Call a Friend

Starter solenoid problem? Alternator? Fuel Pump/Relay? Timing belt perhaps? I thought of these things but I wanted to be in denial. It's 1130pm, I'm not sure if there is a mechanic available to service my car. I'm about to panic. I don't have cash with me (300php lang). I skipped my usual atm withdrawal due to the "mala-nora aunor movie line" at cybergate.

I called Kuya Boy (driver ni Lolo) na lang for consultation. He told me na it could be one of the three above. Na I could have it towed (waaah, 1K daw ang tow..putek mahal) na lang, drop it at my Lolo's house at Pasig. Then, he could look into it the next morning.

It's a Miracle!!!

After succumbing to his idea, I was asked by the guard to move the car so it will not pose as a risk to other drivers. At this point, I was thinking.. "automatic to di mo pwede itulak, pano kaya to?". But I remembered na may power sya. So I asked the guard and my colleague to push the car after I put the key in "on" position and put the gear in neutral.

After this exercise, I prayed that sana mag start na sya. One last try bago mag cab pauwi. Not realizing that I left the gear in neutral, I keyed in the key then tried to start the engine. Lo and Behold, the car cranked and it finally started. Weeee!

I need your input

What do you think happened? I'll be bringing it in to have it checked pero it would be nice to get numerous diagnosis. thanks!

Notes

- My car is a 1998 Lancer GLXI Automatic
    - Timing belt was replaced by CASA back in 2005
    - Tune Up and Change Oil done a wk before Holy Week
    - I drove the car from cybergate to central (mga 1Km lang ang layo)
    - naka full tank ang kotse

Thank you po sa mga magiging inputs ninyo peeps.
    machoba,
    as per your vehicle not cranking intermittently, one of the causes for automatic drivetrain starting system is the park/neutral switch or as other car manufacturer calls it inhibitor switch. the contacts inside this switch usually gets worn out an preventing a complete control circuit to your starter. if it did recrank in neutral or might, cross your fingers,in park is because the contacts sometimes completes the circuit again. this is the same purpose and causes the same problems as in a clutch switch or manual drivetrains starting systems. this device however, is installed for safety reasons that you can not start the engine while in gear.
    jick

5. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    ganyan din nagyare sakin

...stalled due to low on fuel supply, kulang sa apak sa gas.

pinalitan ng mechanic yung fuel filter, sobrang dumi na ng tinaktak yung lata. after this ok na. then inayos grounding, kasi on rev, a/c on, power steering, headlight on, eh kumukurap kurap ang ilaw pag rev.

...after mamatayan, it wont start... kasi nasa D, tha car cranks only when in P or in N.

my ride is a toyota corolla gli a/t

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by gremz View Post
    ...after mamatayan, it wont start... kasi nasa D, tha car cranks only when in P or in N.
    +1

You'll need to shift to N or P before restarting the engine. It's a safety design so the car won't move forward/reverse when you crank over the engine.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    guys, thanks a lot for helping out a young padawan.

indi na ako bagets pero late na ako nagka-kotse kaya eto medyo unsure pa sa analysis. salamats mga pre. share ko din to sa iba.

ipa-test ko yung sasakyan siguro sa weekend, bday ng daughter ko.. ayaw ako paalisin ng bahay. nyahaha. garahe ko na lang muna tom, commutation ako sa opis.

Ganun pala un, dapat pinalilipat lipat mo sa P or N. ganyan yung nangyare na sequence right before mag start. nangyari din yung pag start ko na nasa R sya kaya ala crank.

thanks ulit, pa check ko pati yung mga fuel filter.

update ko kau sa weekend para sa iba din alam na nila circumvention techniques.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    orayt! paki haberdey mo na lang kami sa daughter mo...

legal age na ba? hahaha! joke lang...

happy weekend to all... ;)

HELP! My car won't start