New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Our car is a 2007 Toyota Avanza G 1.5 AT Engine. I have been busy in the province since early this year and I forgot to have the oil changed. Last week, my son was driving the car when the dashboard indicator light for the oil lit up. However, he did not know what it meant so drive on pa rin siya until kumatok na nga ang engine dahil natuyo na ang engine oil. Upon consulting with a shop and other knowledgeable friends, the conclusion was that an engine overhaul was needed. So I had the car towed (flatbed) to a friend's shop and when the engine was brought down and disassembled, they cleaned it and told me to bring it to a machine shop. According to them, the machine shop will determine which parts would be needed to be replaced and what parts could be salvaged. They would also be doing other things required for the overhaul.

I brought the engine to a machine shop near our house and the estimate they gave me amounted to almost P46K!!! This was only for the works that they would be doing and excluded the cost of the parts to be bought.

Ganito ba talaga ang gastos ng engine overhaul??? Can you recommend me a cheaper, but reliable machine shop? PLS. PM ME... Ang location ko is near west Ave. in Quezon City. Tomorrow, I will be going to another machine shop located at Roosevelt Ave. near the corner of Quezon Ave. to compare the work needed to be done and their costs.

FYI, the shop I initially consulted with (also near our place) told me their labor would be a flat rate of P17k, and that the machine shop cost would be around P10k and cost of parts would depend on the condition of the engine pag binaba na at dinismantle. Rough estimate nila was a total cost of around P50k.

PLEASE HELP GUYS, I NEED YOUR ADVICE!!!

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by yellahfellah View Post
    Our car is a 2007 Toyota Avanza G 1.5 AT Engine. I have been busy in the province since early this year and I forgot to have the oil changed. Last week, my son was driving the car when the dashboard indicator light for the oil lit up. However, he did not know what it meant so drive on pa rin siya until kumatok na nga ang engine dahil natuyo na ang engine oil. Upon consulting with a shop and other knowledgeable friends, the conclusion was that an engine overhaul was needed. So I had the car towed (flatbed) to a friend's shop and when the engine was brought down and disassembled, they cleaned it and told me to bring it to a machine shop. According to them, the machine shop will determine which parts would be needed to be replaced and what parts could be salvaged. They would also be doing other things required for the overhaul.

I brought the engine to a machine shop near our house and the estimate they gave me amounted to almost P46K!!! This was only for the works that they would be doing and excluded the cost of the parts to be bought.

Ganito ba talaga ang gastos ng engine overhaul??? Can you recommend me a cheaper, but reliable machine shop? PLS. PM ME... Ang location ko is near west Ave. in Quezon City. Tomorrow, I will be going to another machine shop located at Roosevelt Ave. near the corner of Quezon Ave. to compare the work needed to be done and their costs.

FYI, the shop I initially consulted with (also near our place) told me their labor would be a flat rate of P17k, and that the machine shop cost would be around P10k and cost of parts would depend on the condition of the engine pag binaba na at dinismantle. Rough estimate nila was a total cost of around P50k.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
    perhaps if you listed down the jobs they will be doing, someone can offer cheaper alternatives.
    for example.. it might be cheaper to buy a new crankshaft than to have yours machined..
    or, it might be cheaper to buy a surplus engine, than have yours fixed!
    good luck,sir.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2009

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
    hindi pa naman naibaba ang engine at nabubuksan loob. you won't know the true extent of the damage unless you tear it down.

kung damaged na ang internal parts mo, wala nang need pa i-pa machine shop yung repalceable parts. papalitan mu yan.

the machine shop will usually revolve around the valves, and crankshaft area.

ang bulk of work will be the overhaul in the car shop. sila mag tatangal at magbabalik ng lahat.

mag canvas ka muna nang MAIN BEARING/THRUST WASHER/ OVERHAULING GASKET SET/CYLINDER HEAD BOLT ETC.....

first canvas ka muna mga probable parts to be repalced, then hanap ka shop na matino at reliable trabaho ( isang gawaan at bukasan lang) , then
    pabaklas mo engine mo, tignan ano extent damage, then saka mo masisigurado ang singil ng machine shop by that time. and mas definite na ang price na aabutin mo sa total work.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Sir try to call Shurfit Incorporated.the shop is located at Potrero Malabon,along Mc Arthur Highway lang sya.before naka pag pa machine shop kami sakanila ng engine pero alam ko nasa 4 Digit lang price non.pero kami bumibili ng valve seat saka ung base daw.same condition din katok ung engine.pero Toyota 2C-T ung engine na yon naputulan ng timing belt.I dunno kung mas mahal sa Avanza kase for me pareparehas lang silang metal haha.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008

errr... what does "kumatok ang engine" mean?
    personally, if the car got home on its own power, that's a relatively good sign.

and yes... things might change for the better or for the worse, once that engine is opened.

btw... is the car insured?

6. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    It will all depend on the parts in need of replacement. Up to what extent was the damage? Top overhaul only or general overhaul?

I had gaskets replacement and radiator overhaul done for the Revo diesel at A1 Car Care Center at Del Monte corner D. Tuazon, QC. So far I am quite satisfied with their work. Price is reasonable too.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Ito po yung quotation ng machine shop. Hopefully, makita ninyo yung mga parts na kelangan palitan and also have a good idea as to the extent of the damage based on the list of works to be done.

20150904_180746.jpg

8. Join Date
    Mar 2008

Ito po yung quotation ng machine shop. Hopefully, makita ninyo yung mga parts na kelangan palitan and also have a good idea as to the extent of the damage based on the list of works to be done.

20150904_180746.jpg
    that's a de cajon shopping list.. i'm not sure if all that will be needed; neither am i sure that the problem can be remedied by these..
    and they did not itemize.. you know.. item vis a vis price.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post

errr... what does "kumatok ang engine" mean?
    personally, if the car got home on its own power, that's a relatively good sign.

and yes... things might change for the better or for the worse, once that engine is opened.

btw... is the car insured?
    Nung "kumatok na yung engine", naghanap yung anak ko ng gas station at duon na nila nalaman sa gas station attendant na hindi na dapat nila ibyahe ang sasakyan. Naka-insured naman with Standard Insurance so I availed of their FREE ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE & TOWING from there to our house in QC.

As for what "kumatok ang engine" means, I understand that it is a general term that most car enthusiasts supposedly understand. Personally, it sounds just like that... a knocking sound produced by the engine when it is running. As for its implications, kelangan nga ibaba ang makina & i-disassemble to find out the extent of the damage and what parts needs to be replaced. But I assume you already know that. So why ask the question?

10. Join Date
    Jan 2008

that's a de cajon shopping list.. i'm not sure if all that will be needed; neither am i sure that the problem can be remedied by these..
    Sir dr. d, if you will review the attached image of the job quotation again, you will see that this list was made just for our engine and according to the machine shop, these are the jobs that they will be doing on our engine. And if you analyze further you can note what parts will be replaced (/bought) and which parts can be salvaged but with some machining work to be done. which is precisely why i attached it in the first place.

I edited out the price detail upon the request of the machine shop owner.

Sir dr. d, if you will review the attached image of the job quotation again, you will see that this list was made just for our engine and according to the machine shop, these are the jobs that they will be doing on our engine. And if you analyze further you can note what parts will be replaced (/bought) and which parts can be salvaged but with some machining work to be done. which is precisely why i attached it in the first place.

I edited out the price detail upon the request of the machine shop owner.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Help in Engine Overhaul (2007 Toyota Avanza G 1.5)