New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Hi. I recently had my throttle body cleaned and after it was installed, my RPM jumped to an idle of 1000 and 1,100 when the A/C is on. My iding before the cleanng was just around 600 and 700 when the a/c is on and it ran smooth. I knew it would jump up and I knew mechanics are supposed to bring it down. The mechanic who cleaned my throttle cannot seem to figure out a way to lower the rpm - I think I got duped by this idi0t . My fuel consumption is now so high and i dont want to bring it back to the same guy. I thought all this time that any mechanic can clean throttles - can this be done by the casa? Would you know how much? Or can you just point me to the right direction of where to get a good reasonably priced mechanic in the Paranaque / Makati areas who are familiar with theses things - (baka a racing mechanic might be good)? Contact details would be very much appreciated. Hope to hear from you thanks.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Can't help you if you don't tell us what make, model and year your car is.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Its a 98 Toyota Camry

4. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Kung EFI ang engine, malaki possibility na me singaw po yung reassembly, the fuel delivery will increase to much the unmetered air coming from the leaky portion of the throttle body, resulty is increased idling speed.

Things to check:

1. all hoses to TB.
    2. Fuel lines to and out from the fuel rail be sure na proper size yung mga O-rings at pang fuel injection talaga, sa kotse ko medyo brown ang kulay
    (siliconized/with Teflon if I remember it right)

3. The injectors must be placed tight with no leak to the intake manifold.
    4. IAC valve (baka stucked-up)
    5. Leaky assembly ng TB sa intake manifold, or intake manifold to engine, kung tinanggal din..

With that increase in RPM medyo maliit at mahirap hanapin ang leak, if that is my car I will disassembly-reassembly starting with the Fuel injectors/rail if all the hoses or TB holes are proper placed or sealed.

Kung hindi parang palyado yung takbo ng makina, baka dun na talaga banda sa intake manifold (like fuel lines) kasi pag dyan pa mismo saTB magkakaroon ng erratic signal sa MAP/MAF sensor at parang palyado ang takbo.

After MAP/MAF yung lambda sensor yung mag-aadjust ng A/F ratio.

Di po ako mekaniko pero na-experience ko na po yan. Yung sa akin dun sa fuel line to fuel rail may leak mali yung O-ring nawala ng mekaniko yung orig na o-ring, pero mas malaki yung leak dun sa isa sa mga fuel injectors. Yung idle ko lampas 2000 RPM.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2009

6. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    correction po:

Kung EFI ang engine, malaki possibility na me singaw po yung reassembly, the fuel delivery will increase to much (TO MATCH) the unmetered air coming from the leaky portion of the throttle body (or intake manifold), result is increased idling speed.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by youngrider View Post
    correction po:

Kung EFI ang engine, malaki possibility na me singaw po yung reassembly, the fuel delivery will increase to much (TO MATCH) the unmetered air coming from the leaky portion of the throttle body (or intake manifold), result is increased idling speed.
    On the contrary, if there's a leak in the system AFTER the MAF, there's no way for the fuel system to meter the leaking air. In which case, the car would go lean (more air than gas) which will have a tendency to raise the idle RPM.

Personally, I think the problem may lie with the necessity to recalibrate the idle RPM using a diagnostic computer (if it's OBD/OBD-II). This is usually the case when the throttle body is repaired, cleaned or replaced. At least, that's how it is on Hondas.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    The timing and fuel delivery could be modified but unless you correct the leak, the engine will not run very smooth at mahina ang hatak.

Yun na nga, when I called for SOS sa casa, their master mechanic and the plant engineer was quite sure that there was 'singaw' and most probably located after the TB as the engine was not running like palyado.

In the TB the air is metered, after TB leaking air is unmetered, the O2 sensor will read lean and will increase fuel delivery resulting into increase idle speed.

Yun ang tanda ko sa paliwanag ng plant engineer ng casa.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Very technical pala yan. Pano ko naman malalaman kung saan yung leak? Sanay ako sa diesel eh. Di ko kabisado gasolina. May pwede po ba kayo ma recommend na mahusay na mekaniko sa pque or makati? Kelangan ko na pagawa to after the storm.

10. Join Date
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    On the contrary, if there's a leak in the system AFTER the MAF, there's no way for the fuel system to meter the leaking air. In which case, the car would go lean (more air than gas) which will have a tendency to raise the idle RPM.

Personally, I think the problem may lie with the necessity to recalibrate the idle RPM using a diagnostic computer (if it's OBD/OBD-II). This is usually the case when the throttle body is repaired, cleaned or replaced. At least, that's how it is on Hondas.
    help po baka me idea kayo kac po nagpalit ang michaniko k ng engine valve tinangal din niya ung throttle bigla nasira ung airflow sensor pag kinabit siya namamatay ung makina pag wala umaandar siya kaya lang matakaw sa gas-please help

Good throttle body mechanic?