New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by duskylim View Post
    Dear eat:

In most radiators, there is a drain plug on the bottom that can be reached from underneath the radiator.

It is usually a metal or plastic screw with a rubber washer. You can loosen it with a pair of pliers but be gentle - or you may break it.

To drain the radiator, WAIT TILL THE ENGINE IS COLD, then remove the radiator cap and loosen (do not remove) the drain plug, it usually has a slot cut in it to facilitate draining after it has been loosened a few turns.

The best and safest way to flush your radiator is to just add a pure distilled water like Absolute and then drain 1-2 liters away every weekend when the engine is cold.

Refill with more distilled water to make up for the amount you flushed - remember to fill the overflow reservoir too.

Because it has no minerals, the distilled water will slowly dissolve dirt and minerals (scale) that has built up in the engine.

Flushing out some of that, 1-2 liters will, over maybe a year will inevitably carry out most of the stuff.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Dusky Lim
    im using petron coolAnt sir, when i travel from visayas to mindanao(almost 900kms), it makes my overflow reservoir empty sir... i always check my radiator yet it is intact and no holes... is there somethimg wrong with my radiator sir?

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Pure distilled water is not enough.

A proper coolant is used for four reasons:

1. The insides of most cooling systems may employ dissimilar metals. In which case, corrosion will still occur even if the water is virtually clean. Specific coolants with the correct ratio of anti-corrosive chemicals are used to prevent or slow down this process. These chemicals are also called inhibitors for good reason.

-If ignored, a layer of corrosion (scales) will build up in time (engine block and radiator), reducing the system's heat transfer efficiency. It may eventually cause the cooling system to fail, giving you frequent overheating problems.

2. Most water pumps require lubrication. Again, the correct type of coolant will prevent the pump seals from "drying out" when using the wrong coolant type or plain/distilled water.

- If ignored, water pumps won't last as long as it should and would start to spring a leak.

3. Coolants are formulated to have a higher boiling point than plain water. It helps prevent localized engine hot spots as well as reduce the amount of fluid evaporation.

- If ignored, the cavitation caused by the boiling liquid will introduce hot spots (uneven heating) and may cause pre-ignition under certain conditions.

4. For its anti-freeze properties, though applicable only in countries with icy climates. It prevents the liquid from well, icing, and destroying the water pump upon starting.

AVOID using tap water or filtered water. If a suitable coolant is not available, distilled water can be used as a temporary substitute. Drain and replace with a recommended coolant immediately.

So what is the recommended coolant? This is important. OEM is BEST, period. As with No. 1 and No.2 above, there's a right balance or ratio of anti-corrosive chemicals as well as the required lubricant for the pump. Using the wrong coolant type will actually accelerate corrosion and/or kill the water pump! Take away the guess work and buy only the OEM coolant prescribed for your vehicle.
    Last edited by oj88; February 9th, 2011 at 12:54 AM.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nvidi.turion View Post
    im using petron coolAnt sir, when i travel from visayas to mindanao(almost 900kms), it makes my overflow reservoir empty sir... i always check my radiator yet it is intact and no holes... is there somethimg wrong with my radiator sir?

check your rad cap. might be the springs are not working anymore.

happened to me before.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy_boy View Post
    check your rad cap. might be the springs are not working anymore.

happened to me before.

what u mean radiator cap sir(spring)?... mahigpit pa din yung cap ng radiator ko sir, i always open and check to make sure na my laman p sya...

5. Join Date
    May 2009
    Some useful reading for the benefit of all motorheads:

http://www.usmotors.com/products/ProFacts/tableof.htm

6. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    what u mean radiator cap sir(spring)?... mahigpit pa din yung cap ng radiator ko sir, i always open and check to make sure na my laman p sya...

baka mukhang ayus pa yan, pero hindi na nagh-hold ng pressure.

yan usually sira ng rad cap. nagbabawas ng tubig pero wala naman tulo.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    baka mukhang ayus pa yan, pero hindi na nagh-hold ng pressure.

yan usually sira ng rad cap. nagbabawas ng tubig pero wala naman tulo.

ok pa yung rad cap ko sir(masikip pa kasi sir) but i dont know kung nagho-hold p siya ng pressure...

8. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    ok pa yung rad cap ko sir(masikip pa kasi sir) but i dont know kung nagho-hold p siya ng pressure...
    you can not check your rad cap visually. pressure test yan. kung natutuyuan ka ng water, either may leak, or sira rad cap mo. worst case scenario, blown head gasket kaya nauubusan ka ng tubig.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    you can not check your rad cap visually. pressure test yan. kung natutuyuan ka ng water, either may leak, or sira rad cap mo. worst case scenario, blown head gasket kaya nauubusan ka ng tubig.

not all the time naman sir natutuyuan ako ng tubig sa overflow reservoir, siguro pagmalayuan na yung biyahe ko saka ako natuyuan sir...

10. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    not all the time naman sir natutuyuan ako ng tubig sa overflow reservoir, siguro pagmalayuan na yung biyahe ko saka ako natuyuan sir...
    Try replacing the radiator cap for now, mura lang naman yon and a very basic fix, if that's not the problem, then meron ka nang spare cap j/k

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
good engine coolant