New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Guys pahelp naman.

Santa Fe 2008 CRDI model

Problem: when trying to start engine, after the pre heat stage(all indicators turn off after key turning before starting) when i try to turn the engine ON , the starter will redondo and the starter will caught and the rev needle will rise but will suddenly die.

will try to turn it ON again after preheating (siguro a bit longer ng konti) it will caught again sometimes ok na pero minsan inaabot din ng 3 tries.

actually medyo intermittent naman hindi sya ganun kadalas more or less mga 2 times or minsan once a week nangyayari.

last fuel filter change is around 40k km ago so was thinking about if filter me prob, naisip ko lang na glow plug since minsan pag mahaba pre heat time madalang mangyari

any opinions?

any input is appreciated thanks

2. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Odometer?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tsikot Forums mobile app

3. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Please write in comphendable English or Tagalog. The way titser taught you in grade school

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    Please write in comphendable English or Tagalog. The way titser taught you in grade school
    No offence but that's a bit condescending. It's taglish and I can understand him just fine.

He said that sometimes, when he tries to start the engine, it cranks or turns over, catches a bit, but then dies. He has to repeat it a couple of times before the engine runs.

It happens intermittently... around 1-2 times a week.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by threx666 View Post
    Guys pahelp naman.

Santa Fe 2008 CRDI model

Problem: when trying to start engine, after the pre heat stage(all indicators turn off after key turning before starting) when i try to turn the engine ON , the starter will redondo and the starter will caught and the rev needle will rise but will suddenly die.

will try to turn it ON again after preheating (siguro a bit longer ng konti) it will caught again sometimes ok na pero minsan inaabot din ng 3 tries.

actually medyo intermittent naman hindi sya ganun kadalas more or less mga 2 times or minsan once a week nangyayari.

last fuel filter change is around 40k km ago so was thinking about if filter me prob, naisip ko lang na glow plug since minsan pag mahaba pre heat time madalang mangyari

any opinions?

any input is appreciated thanks
    not elegant english or tagalog, but understand-able enough. we all do it in varying degrees. heh heh.

my guess would be the fuel filter. my old 1996 korean says the filter should be replaced every 30K. one day, at 39K, it died just before entering the gate. we had to push her in. heh heh. next day, it was just like what you described. a simple fuel filter change fixed it up.
    good luck.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    not elegant english or tagalog, but understand-able enough. we all do it in varying degrees. heh heh.

my guess would be the fuel filter. my old 1996 korean says the filter should be replaced every 30K. one day, at 39K, it died just before entering the gate. we had to push her in. heh heh. next day, it was just like what you described. a simple fuel filter change fixed it up.
    good luck.
    If it was the fuel filter, then he would have driveability issues as well.... loss of power, stalling, rough running, hesitation, etc.

I'd probably check the fuel rail and see if there's a pressure leakage (whether external or a defective check valve of sorts). If there's a slow leak, there might not be enough pressure during cold starts, especially if the car has not been driven for a while. That might explain the need to crank the engine longer to build up the fuel pressure.

Then again, it could just as well be the glow plugs. It's worth to check them out too. In fact, I'd start there.