New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2008
    Hi mga sirs,

I recently had my Lancer 82 model repaired and the mechanic said that i need to change two oil seals and the timing belt.

so i bought the oil seals and timing belt. I was hesitant to change the timing belt since i had a bad experience previoulsy with replacing timing belts.

So after the changes i did a test drive and everything went fine. after a week of driving my car stalled and it wont start. To make the long story short, na wrecker ako and when the mechanic checked the engine is stock up..

May guhit sa first valve nung camshaft so sabi nila need daw i pa machine shop.

My real question is, pag incorrect ba ang installation ng timing belt mag cacause ba un ng engine stock up, or di mag pump ng maayos ung oil.

Sa case ko kasi sabi ng mekaniko madumi daw ung langis at di sya nag pump ng maayos kaya nag stock up ung makina.

Help me naman po para ma defend ko ung pag request ng back job sa unang mekaniko na gumawa. Ang laki kasi ng ginastos ko sa unang gawa tapos mas lumaki pa because of this engine stock up.

Thanks sa laht ng replies

2. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    may leak ba sa pinalitang bagong oil seal ng shafts?
    Oil pump is not driven by the timing belt.
    Kung madumi ang oil, baka dahil sa change oil interval, o kaya busted oil
    filter.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Good to u/ naputol ba ang t/belt mo/ kaya nasira ang camshaft mo dhl tumama sa piston ang valve, at hndi pwidi ipa machine shop yan/kailanga mo ng palitan ng bago o sigunda mano na maayos pa/ang pag kabit ng t/belt ay kailanga nasa tama ang kanyang tension/

Regards/

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    agree ako. tumukod, 'ika nga. malamang naputol ang timing belt, o di kaya ay tumalon ang gear. hindi kaya ng machining yang sira. replacement na yan. let's just hope they're not too many...

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Dear Sir:

It appears you have met one of the many unqualified, unscrupulous mechanics around.

It can only be that your timing belt was improperly installed resulting in contact between a valve and piston crown.

If contact did NOT occur immediately on start-up but only after an extended period of driving it means that the belt came loose and jump a gear tooth or two, resulting in mis-timing of the valve train and crankshaft.

The belt was improperly tensioned and tightened.

It is safe to say that the valve is damaged and that the piston has been badly weakened.

This sort of damage should be the responsibility of the mechanic who did the job.

There is NO WAY that he is NOT RESPONSIBLE for your problems, not only did he recommend the repair but he undertook it himself - you did not go to him.

Go back and demand satisfaction - don't let him touch your engine again, just present him with the bill from a proper repair and demand payment.

After settlement, NEVER, EVER have a repair done by him again.

You can however, recommend him to people you do not like.

Sincerely,

Dusky Lim

6. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    a lot of information and details are missing from the thread starter, to be fair.
    What was the initial problem as to why the timing belt was replaced?
    The engine could have gone broke the first time it was started if the timing was
    off, or it would have run rough, erratic.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by haragan View Post
    Hi mga sirs,

I recently had my Lancer 82 model repaired and the mechanic said that i need to change two oil seals and the timing belt.

so i bought the oil seals and timing belt. I was hesitant to change the timing belt since i had a bad experience previoulsy with replacing timing belts.

So after the changes i did a test drive and everything went fine. after a week of driving my car stalled and it wont start. To make the long story short, na wrecker ako and when the mechanic checked the engine is stock up..

May guhit sa first valve nung camshaft so sabi nila need daw i pa machine shop.

My real question is, pag incorrect ba ang installation ng timing belt mag cacause ba un ng engine stock up, or di mag pump ng maayos ung oil.

Sa case ko kasi sabi ng mekaniko madumi daw ung langis at di sya nag pump ng maayos kaya nag stock up ung makina.

Help me naman po para ma defend ko ung pag request ng back job sa unang mekaniko na gumawa. Ang laki kasi ng ginastos ko sa unang gawa tapos mas lumaki pa because of this engine stock up.

Thanks sa laht ng replies
    Just to make a correction. The word should be STUCK - past tense of STICK - not STOCK..

Peace.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tip_tipid View Post
    a lot of information and details are missing from the thread starter, to be fair.
    What was the initial problem as to why the timing belt was replaced?
    The engine could have gone broke the first time it was started if the timing was
    off, or it would have run rough, erratic.
    aree with this...in the first place, if the timing belt was installed improperly, the engine could have been jerky, erratic, hi-temp or wont even start at the first attempt to start and one week is long enough for these symptoms to come out. im thinking the oil did not pump out causing the engine to stuck up (kumatok). just my thought

9. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Is there any news about what happen to your car so other tsikot members will give there suggestions.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by haragan View Post
    Bakit pinalitan ng timing belt at bakit pumayag ka? Ano ba ang problema bago mo pinaayos? Yung timing belt may mga markings naman sa mga cams and gears to make sure it is dead center kaya malabo na ma missed ito ng mechanic. After one week of use when the stuck up problem occurs, baka iba na ang problema niyan. Di mo magagamit ng one week na matino ang andar ng kotse kung mali ang kabit ng timing belt, either you'll have hard starting or erratic idling pag mali ang kabit ng timing belt.

Parang may iba pang problema yung car mo bago ito inayos. To be fair with the mechanic, gagawin lang naman niya kung ano ang pinapaayos mo at kung ano ang available na replacement part na provided mo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Engine Stock Up after Timing Belt Replacement