New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    after revving the engine to about > 3000 rpm, rpm would then drop from the usual idle rpm momentarily but eventually would go back normal. parang mamatay ung engine pero di naman. what could be the problem?

car is a mazda 1.6
    Last edited by Fulcrum; April 10th, 2005 at 01:20 PM.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    ano po kayang sasakyan ang tinutukoy natin?

first option is to check the high-tension wires if they're all properly plugged in to the distributor and the spark plugs properly (no loose connections), do this first so you won't have to go to the mechanic of it's the only reason

if problem still persists after making sure all wires are properly plugged in, you might want to consider visiting a good mechanic. air-fuel mixture might be off-spec. have the timing checked, or a complete tune-up may be necessary.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    try to clean the trottle body. but as mr corbon +P ba yun? mentioned it can be caused by a lot of factors.

When i was working for signet. this was a common occurence. I came up a procedure for this prob. first hook it up in the engine analyzer. if there is no error. tune up. If there is its usually the AFM error code. AFM for air flow meter. ITs a sensor in or near the TB (trottle body) I forgot since dami models hawak ko and some are not mounted inside the TB.

Now if the error is the TB we remove the TB and clean it with carb cleaner. BE careful you might remove the TB butterfly seal. (parang silicone or something similar to seal the butterfly with the TB. if this happens high rpm since there will be an opening where air will come in.

also the TB sensor might get damaged. IIRC it looks like a light bulb filament. pag naputol mabigat sa bulsa.

after cleaning reinstall and delete code by stepping on the brake and removing the negative bat terminal release the brake after 5 seconds. pag may error pa rin sa TB baka sira na sensor. replace sensor and again delete error. ok na dapat yan.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    fuel pump?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum
    after revving the engine to about > 3000 rpm, rpm would then drop from the usual idle rpm momentarily but eventually would go back normal. parang mamatay ung engine pero di naman. what could be the problem?

car is a mazda 1.6
    fuel filter? how long ago was your last tune up?

6. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    or worst, kung timing chain ka baka sobra na ikot ng chain mo, lumalampas na ng gear...yan kasi problema ng makina ko...i already check everthing, yun na lang ang huling diagnose...

7. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    timing belt ang mazda 1.6

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    As aforementioned, idle problems can be caused by factors like a dirty TB, faulty sensor/dirty sensor, electrical/ignition problem, etc... so it's really a matter of striking it out one by one.

Given that you've gotten a tune-up and all your filters (air and fuel) are still ok, then you can go over to have it engine analyzed (with the Nissans, we usually go to the CASA for a CONSULT readout to have the MAF, AAC readings checked). If it has not been done, then a TB cleaning will be ok as well.

I read before somewhere that Mazdas have a part that usually cause idle problems... can't remember it exactly but try to search the old threads or maybe Protegetech.

Engine Problem?