New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Anyone experienced oil starvation sa engine? Paano malalaman agad, ano symptoms o mapansin sa engine behavior?

I've been using a big baldwin oil filter, twice the volume of the oem, late na nalaman ko wala bpv, one week na. Nagamit ko na sa long drive, umaabot sa 3k ang rpm, kept looking at the gauge kung light up ang oil sensor lamp, hindi naman umilaw. Maayos naman ang andar ng engine. Should I continue using this or change it na asap? Opinion po! TIA! Happy New Year to all!

Sent from my Light using Tsikot Forums Mobile App mobile app

2. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    For peace of mind, stick to oem sized filters.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Since we are at tropical climate, using larger filter should not be a problem. The oil pressure sender is located after the oil pump and will detect no pressure if there is no oil, filter badly clogged, or the pump is busted. Assuming your sender unit is in working condition, it should turn on in the meter cluster if it detects low oil pressure or oil starvation.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2013
    So, ang oil lamp lang ang monitor ko. Isip ko nga, sa linis ng langis, hindi ma-clog agad ang filter, and I don't do abrupt acceleration para tumaas ang OP bigla. Alaga ko naman sa regular check ang oil level. Fit kasi ang body sa space at gasket sa mounting face, another reason, very low priced for its size at high capacity filter naman ang baldwin.

Sent from my Light using Tsikot Forums Mobile App mobile app

5. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Yes, the lamp should be enough. Makikita mo naman kung working ang sender unit upon switching to ACC position and firing the engine. Basta larger surface area ang filter means lesser restriction, just dont go smaller than the OEM and follow the OCI then you should be fine even without BPV.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 12vdc View Post
    Yes, the lamp should be enough. Makikita mo naman kung working ang sender unit upon switching to ACC position and firing the engine. Basta larger surface area ang filter means lesser restriction, just dont go smaller than the OEM and follow the OCI then you should be fine even without BPV.
    Thanks a lot, bro 12vdc! Kaya ko use this B143 non BPV oil fiter is to test if the BPV is the reason why dark agad ang oil after 1,500 kms, my old filter is B131 with 8 psid BPV pressure setting. I'm thinking, it passes unfiltered oil easily when accelerating or in high rpm. Now, I'll know if in same mileage, same color pa din, hindi ang BPV ang culprit.

Medyo confident na ako ngayon! Thanks!

Posted via Tsikot Mobile App

7. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    I highly doubt due to BPV. Most elements that discolors the oil is less than a micron. The source of dirt is the combustion w/c is made by fuel and air. Kung hindi maganda ang sunog, it leaves more carbon that contaminates the oil.

Normal lang siguro ang discoloration not unless may sample ka ng old oil at na compare. Try checking din ang air filter for leaks. Kung naka aftermarket filter most probably hindi maganda ang air filtration.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Yup! I tried the K&N drop in type, ganda kasi tunog at talaga high volume ang air flow, suffer nga siguro ang filtration. Hindi pa kasi gaano madumi ang filter, iyon daw advantage ng K&N, kahit madumi na, malakas pa air flow and more efficient when dirty. For the meantime, replace muna stock air filter element for this purpose. Will observe for a month kung darken oil color.

At present, gamit daily ang car, hindi naman umiilaw ang oil sensor. Saan kaya nabibili yun mechanical OP gauge na may sandwich plate sa oil filter?

9. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    As long as the oil filter you use has a BPV pressure within the limits of the OEM you should be fine. If you read a lot in the BITOG (bob-is-the-oil-guy) forums. Heck, we dont even know the BPV rating of over-the-counter oil filters they sell at autosupplies (like ViC, Bosch, Nippon, etc), because it is not even indicated in their packaging. You can surmise that with oil filters, bigger is better (speaking of good quality filters , ie - Baldwin, Fleetguard, Wix, K&N, etc). Even if this filters have higher BPV rating than OEM but with highly efficient filtration, it is highly unlikely that it will get clogged to activate the bypass valve. There is a very good topic about oil filters in this forum. Just use the search button...

Cheers!

10. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by johnjoseph View Post
    Yup! I tried the K&N drop in type, ganda kasi tunog at talaga high volume ang air flow, suffer nga siguro ang filtration. Hindi pa kasi gaano madumi ang filter, iyon daw advantage ng K&N, kahit madumi na, malakas pa air flow and more efficient when dirty. For the meantime, replace muna stock air filter element for this purpose. Will observe for a month kung darken oil color.

At present, gamit daily ang car, hindi naman umiilaw ang oil sensor. Saan kaya nabibili yun mechanical OP gauge na may sandwich plate sa oil filter?

When it comes to efficiency during clogging, air vs oil/ fuel/ fluid filter are not comparable.

Air filter gets better when clogged, while Oil/Fuel/ fluid don't. The more the element get stuffed with dirt the more possibility the old crap that were trapped would get thru the filter element, lalo na't subjected to vibrations at sudden pressure ang filter.

Kung K&N oiled-type, para ka na ring air filter na may oil.. Filtration gets worse kung stuffed ang element because oil being denser could block the passages but i guess K&N countered this problem by making synthetic media with less finer element. Kung dry-type naman at high volume flow, ibig sabihin less restriction at the expense of less filtration. Kaya wala ako tiwala sa open filters. Sa OEM air filter aside from may airbox ka that serves as pre-cleaner, tiwala ka na hindi masisira ang MAF sensor. Paper element filter still the best filter when it comes to filtration. In your case, the most probable cause of your oil getting darker too soon is air contamination due to poor filtration.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Engine oil starvation